Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN (US)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Terre Haute, IN (US)

I have been working at Bemis

Pros

Worldwide leader in plastics manufacturing. Very large company. Good benefits. I am glad to work for such a stable company.

Cons

I believe there are times when the sales force and the rest of the company don't communicate as well as they should.

reviews filtered by
  1. You could not work for a more company more hostile towards its lower level employees

Current Employee - Press Operator in Terre Haute, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Press Operator in Terre Haute, IN (US)

I have been working at Bemis

Pros

Its a pay check and has decent benefits. But they will never hire another full time employee only season help and temp workers.

Cons

Constant policy changes designed to write up and fire as many hourly employees as possible.
    Constant harassment from management.
    Now matter what you do or how good you do it it is never enough.
    Unequal treatment between employees.
    They hire people to run departments that have no clue about the production process for the department.

Advice to Management

Quit changing policies every week. When your employees tell there is a problem listen. Employee morale is important and right now it cant get much lower. Learn to cooperate with the bargaining unit. They are not your enemy but are there to help.

It's a family company, with all that comes with that

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shirley, MA (US)

I worked at Bemis

Pros

First, the company is very important in the surrounding towns: it's a big employer locally, and the owners (the Howard Family) make a lot of local investments and coordinate a lot of volunteer work. The benefits include access to a small onsite gym, family healthplan with no premium, and a pension plan in addtion to a 401K plan.

Cons

If you've come from a larger corporate environment, you may be disappointed. The management is rather amateurish. My impression is that the current generation of family ownership is very civic minded, but lacks business experience. Middle-management especially is homegrown and very week. This could be an opportunity if you have a background in modern, metrics based management...you would be bringing religion to the wilderness here.

Advice to Management

Although it's worked well for you so far, you may be left behind unless you embrace modern management techniques. Senior-management would especially benefit from some more seasoned hands.