Best Buy
3.3 of 5 4,733 reviews
www.bestbuy.com Richfield, MN 5000+ Employees

Good place to work for a young person.

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)
Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing culture. When you start at most places and they show you the intro video about the companies' culture, everyone rolls their eyes because it never is how those videos portray. However at Best Buy it was near perfect. Front line employees get along, managers are very approachable, no intimidation.
Plenty of opportunity for SELF improvement, through research and online courses. Decent rewards through vendors and BBY for completing these.
Amazing employee discount, just about as good as it can be.

ConsPeople are sometimes too friendly. Workplace at times felt like high school. In order to be friendly with people, it was almost necessary to associate outside of work. Also workplace relationships were beyond commonplace.
Not commison, and the newly implemented bonus structure is near impossible to achieve for smaller to medium sized stores. This coupled with very aggressive targets makes for a frustrating workplace at times, because it is hard to explain this situation to managers without sounding like a lazy worker.
Breaks are non-existent when lunches are given, no matter how long your shift. Also lunches and breaks are seen as a gift by managers and not a right. Some busy days breaks would not be given until the end of a shift, the managers also sometimes hold breaks hostage until a certain sales goal is met (very infuriating).
Pay is quite low starting, and yearly raises are not performance based, as they say, and a pittance, Maximum hours (a concern for students) are laughed at, especially during the holiday season. (You cannot request a day off in advance during the months of December and parts of November and January. On the other side, full time is seen as a promotion and hard to obtain once a department is staffed.
Supervisors (trainers not store managers) are useless. Since the restructuring of the company department sups were 'side-moted' to trainers, with store managers taking over their managerial duties of the old department supervisors, at my location this never occurred. The sup of my department lost many of his paperwork responsibilities but never trained us to the new degree expected of him. Just as before my sup spent most of his time in the back room doing nothing (actually forging training reports, at least mine, as I never signed off on them) and flirting/chatting with other sales employees. This may just have been at my location, but was one of the main points of concerns for me and my ex-employees, that our direct supervisor knew less about what we were selling than us, did less, and got paid more.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the culture, but stick to your guns. Every day/week/month, things are changing. Such as sales goals, how we are supposed to interact with the customers, housekeeping methods, and punishments for those who break the rules. However these things are very rarely enforced beyond a few days. The one thing BBY (or at least my location) needed was some stability, I believe it would help morale even more at BBY if things would just stay consistent for any length of time.

Best job I've ever had

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Best Buy is a perfect place to work if you love the possibility of growing your career, meeting new people, and learning skills that will… Cons: Working retail hours can sometimes be frustrating, but overall most employees understand that we have an… Advice to Senior Management: Continue spending time with the associates in the stores. Sales floor employees love seeing corporate people in the store because… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Ok company

Computer Specialist (Former Employee)
Ontario, CA (US)

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 5 years

Pros: amazing employee discount willing to work with college studen schedules Cons: management was very unprofessional pay sucked too much favoritism Advice to Senior Management: i would suggest management listen to employees more and take… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Best Buy.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Best Buy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly. All reviews posted anonymously by Best Buy employees.