Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com

Ok for in-school employment

Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsFlexible hours, no (express or implied) overtime requirements - Makes it great for having a job for a little cash while you are in school. (Yes, it will be a little cash.) Managers and supervisors are a crap-shoot - some are great, while some leave you questioning how they have a job, much less a leadership position.

ConsHires almost exclusively high school and college students for the non-manager roles, which means that working on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (particularly the mornings) will entail numerous call-ins or no-shows leaving the rest of the crew to deal with the busiest of days. This also means that there is considerable employee turnover and, while training is not all that intensive, the inefficiency of this model is clear from the onset.

If you don't like working weekends, don't apply - for all intents and purposes it's a prerequisite.

Sometimes the part-time designation is viewed as a benefits-only distinction and you will work 32+ hour weeks (their full-time minimum), which, at first, is welcome if you are looking for some extra money and don't have any major health issues/are on a parents plan/are on a school's plan. However, eventually, it becomes clear that this is a way to get around providing employees who work full-time the benefits of their employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementWarranty peddling - cut it out - some will buy, some won't.

Stop growing stores in the United States - the big box model is becoming more and more inefficient. Less stores - with less hires and more oversight - could also help to strengthen the brand.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good learning experience

Wireless Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: They teach you the business side of retail. Gain knowledge on latest and greatest. Great for students. Lot's of… Cons: Company restructures can make your financial life very difficult. My pay was cut by 1/3 a year before I left. They are going through many… Advice to Senior Management: None. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Retail experience builder

Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) (Current Employee)

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great way to get your foot in the door for… Cons: Does not offer much training Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Best Buy.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!