Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

www.gatesfoundation.org

A fast-paced place to learn tremendously but you have to like being under constant stress

Program Assistant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsIf you like being around smart interesting people with amazing backgrounds and ambitions, BMGF is great. You learn a lot and if you have a great manager, can grow.

Lots of resources for creativity.

ConsGenerally a stressful and competitive place. HR and management is poor-- not a lot of transparency, accountability and feedback loops, poor consistency and standards, lots of people without management experience doing management. Lots of smart people means lots of ego to deal with. The organization is constantly reorganizing and this is also stressful. Top and bottom heavy organization with little clear upward mobility within the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach your POs how to manage. Give people the opportunity to grow wtihin the organization even if it means seconding them to the field for a couple years. Don't assume that something tech-fancy will solve the world, particularly if it's coming from Microsoft. Treat your employees like they matter and are not immediately replaceable. Invest in people, not just ideas.

Golden Handcuffs-- Hard to leave but not great to stay

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros: When you land on a good team with good people, you are… Cons: From the perspective of someone on the lower end of the food chain, I am floored how bad the attitude towards admins and PCs are… Advice to Senior Management: At this point I don't really expect management to worry about the little… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Program Officer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Mission; ability to have impact; ability to move ideas to action;… Cons: Political and hierarchical culture; some unnecessary bureaucracy; internal promotion is rare… Advice to Senior Management: Be more transparent and systematic in decision-making. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Worked for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation? Contribute to the Community!