Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

www.gatesfoundation.org
  www.gatesfoundation.org
There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

A fast-paced place to learn tremendously but you have to like being under constant stress

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)
Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

If you like being around smart interesting people with amazing backgrounds and ambitions, BMGF is great. You learn a lot and if you have a great manager, can grow.

Lots of resources for creativity.

Cons

Generally a stressful and competitive place. HR and management is poor-- not a lot of transparency, accountability and feedback loops, poor consistency and standards, lots of people without management experience doing management. Lots of smart people means lots of ego to deal with. The organization is constantly reorganizing and this is also stressful. Top and bottom heavy organization with little clear upward mobility within the organization.

Teach your POs how to manage. Give people the opportunity to grow wtihin the organization even if it means seconding them to the field for a couple years. Don't assume that something tech-fancy will solve the world, particularly if it's coming from Microsoft. Treat your employees like they matter and are not immediately replaceable. Invest in people, not just ideas.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (View Most Recent)

Golden Handcuffs-- Hard to leave but not great to stay

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

When you land on a good team with good people, you are surrounded with the smartest, brightest, funniest people. Benefits are out of this world.

Cons

From the perspective of someone on the lower end of the food chain, I am floored how bad the attitude towards admins and PCs are here. Many people in those positions have masters degrees and remarkable backgrounds in the biggest names in the world. And once you arrive at BMGF the attitude is shut up, print this, schedule that. I once pushed back, and was told point blank that 700 people applied for my job, so if I would like to be somewhere else that wouldn't be a problem for them. It always seems like the minute I decide I am done they send me to Africa, loop me in on a big project, or I meet someone amazing. Golden handcuffs, I swear. I wouldn't say that I regret my time here...but unless you want to be an admin for a while and settle in to the role, I would not advise someone taking a lower level job here in the hopes of an amazing opportunity, which is what I did.

At this point I don't really expect management to worry about the little people, but a holistic look at how you treat your people is needed.

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mission; ability to have impact; ability to move ideas to action; smart and dedicated colleagues; high level of intellectual dialogue; thorough strategic thinking

Cons

Political and hierarchical culture; some unnecessary bureaucracy; internal promotion is rare and career development opportunities severely limited; lack of transparency in decision-making;

Be more transparent and systematic in decision-making.

There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation