Bloomberg L.P.

www.bloomberg.com

It's a big company, there's a lot of room for good teams and bad teams

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt's very bright and sunny, which might seem trivial but I personally find it very good for my mood to work in a bright office. I like the financial aspects of the work, so once I found the team working on precisely what I was interested in, I became quite happy and satisfied. Don't worry too much about the "free food", most of it is junk food, though the fruit is great.

If you like finance more than cutting edge software engineering, you'll find it a pleasant enough place to work at (on the good teams). The bad teams, well, they are out there, do your homework before accepting the offer.

ConsSome of the infrastructure is legacy. This shouldn't be a con for any seasoned developer, it's a fact of life, but if you're a whiny b straight out of college, you might find this distasteful. There is some politicking, and people get promoted partially based on their temperament and how well they get along with other managers. Again, this shouldn't be a con, but if you are young and naive, you might find this also to be distasteful.

The only really big con is the annual review process, which is a curve-fitted algorithm to award future compensation based on relative (within your peer group) performance. I would advise newcomers to negotiate as hard as you can before signing, because once you are in there's a good possibility your compensation will stagnate.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp the project and trouble ticketing systems to better reflect the realities of software project development. Also, mix up the floors a bit, there's not enough casual interaction between R&D and other departments, despite forcing everyone through the 6th floor in transit.

Worst experience I have had in my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Free food, snacks and benefits. Cons: Where do I start. Lots of old, legacy policies, they grind you and don't want you to ever leave their building, very hard to get… Advice to Senior Management: Get with the times and move faster on people, products… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Fast paced, intellectually stimulating

Equity Data Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bloomberg L.P. full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great work-life balance. Easy to move up career wise after 1-2 years… Cons: Overall great place to work. At times it can be difficult dealing with angry or… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Bloomberg L.P..

Worked for Bloomberg L.P.? Contribute to the Community!