Fun but not too valuable of an experience - Internship

Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA (US)
Former Intern - Intern in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were really friendly and the building I worked in was great. The pay and perks aren't too shabby either.

Cons

Most days I didn't really do much of anything except sit and play around. I can't complain too much since I got paid but I didn't really gain much valuable experience.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company if you get in to the right field... with an active clearance

Current Employee - Consultant I in Jessup, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant I in Jessup, MD (US)

I have been working at Booz Allen Hamilton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Booz Allen is a very strong company with strong year over year growth. There are position openings all over the world, and they dabble in a little bit of everything. If you get a good manager, and enjoy your position, your life will be great. Work weeks aren't super long, and your benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Internal applications are a nightmare, recruiters only care about bringing in new employees (they get a bonus) rather than staffing the employees already in the system. Since going public, the company's culture has changed sharply and the investors seem to be wanting to fix something that's not broken.

Advice to Management

Worry more about employee moral than nickel/diming the overhead.

Great reputation doesn't match the infighting

Former Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Booz Allen Hamilton as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Post BAH, the firm maintains a strong point in my resume, despite seeing the way the sausage is made.

Cons

Overall, there's tremendous infighting amongst the middle to upper leadership that leads to staff confusion, missed opportunities to serve clients, and overall staff development. Also, retains a very militaristic hierarchy even in the healthcare practice. Also - the title "Senior Associate" for folks with 20 years of experience? Seriously?

Advice to Management

Create a healthier culture, stop the infighting and listen to your associates and senior associates more