Company structure skewed

I worked at Boston Properties

Pros

Day to day contacts within company are very nice and professional. Smaller managers are reasonable but can be very different between portfolios. Great amount of time off as well as summer hours. Great place to start out in the property management field.

Cons

Red tape is everywhere. Much more focus on policies and procedures than going out and improving assets and retaining tenants. Very clear that it is WHO you know and not WHAT you know that will get you noticed in such a big company. If you don't toot your own horn once in awhile then no one else will. Majority of the employees have the mindset of using the company to get ahead in the field but do not plan on staying with the company for the long haul.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the great talent that you already have working for you. Give props where props are due. Maybe internal audit should start looking at the managers involved with hiring and I'm not talking about HR.

reviews filtered by
  1. Boston Properties

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Boston Properties

Pros

Boston Properties always goes about their work in the most professional manner possible. Dotting every "i" and crossing every "t".

Cons

Extremely corporate. It's either Sarbanes-Oxley or paranoid management but half of your time seems to be spent preparing for a future internal audit.

Advice to Management

Employees spend inordinate amount of time cya'ing. Find a way to make the environment more conducive to producing rather than preparing for audits.

Decent Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Boston Properties

Pros

Great benefits. 401k matched 200%. Opportunity to get up to 4 weeks vacation. Fun group to work with.

Cons

Upper Management doesn't seem to care about employees' work/personal life balance. Still seems like an old mans club- maternity leave bare minimum, senior executives all male, etc. Not a ton of room for growth.

Advice to Management

Flex-time would be nice.