There are newer employer reviews for Boys & Girls Clubs

Excellent and Rewarding

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs

Pros

Helping the community. Connecting with children. Helping underprivileged kids. What is not to like about that. Every day I would get home and feel accomplished with myself.

Cons

Some of the other counselors were obviously just there for the money. It is hard to work with someone who does not put in 100%. Personal was also spread thin.

Advice to Management

Try and find more counselors per kid.

reviews filtered by
  1. Everyone was very helpful and it was always fun to come into work!

Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Youth Counselor in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff and all the students were great!

Cons

I don't have any negative things to say about Boys and Girls Clubs.

2. CEO & Administrative Team treats lower employees like dirt.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Boys & Girls Clubs full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with kids, hopefully shaping their lives for the better.

Cons

Almost too many to count. The biggest cons of working for the BGCA of Portland is that they completely destruct your dreams of helping kids by lowering salaries for their part time and full time employees while raising the salaries of the CEOs and other executives. I worked for three different BCGA centers, as well as 2 after school elementary schools, and the turnover of qualified people cycling through the clubs was completely disheartening and made the mission and the work ineffectual. The management is completely atrocious. The 2 best directors I worked with in my 3 years left because of dissatisfaction with the administration. AVOID THIS PLACE IF YOU CAN, THERE ARE BETTER PROGRAMS!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Give them the salaries that they deserve, with the responsibilities that they can handle to have the most impact on kids' lives. (i.e. NOT paying an employee with a graduate degree 10.50/hr while being in charge of 400 kids, 3 departments, and 6 part time employees).

There are newer employer reviews for Boys & Girls Clubs