Brattleboro Retreat

www.brattlebororetreat.org
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review

Great Position and Rewarding

Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Brattleboro, VT (US)
Former Employee - Mental Health Worker in Brattleboro, VT (US)

I worked at Brattleboro Retreat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great 1:1 experience impacting lives. Membership w/Nursing Union, so mandate pay and hourly shift differentials make great position for single individuals

Cons

It is a psychiatric hospital, be prepared for the experience. However, training is long and depends on the floor.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very good pay at diverse levels for this area. Struggling organization.

I have been working at Brattleboro Retreat

Pros

Good pay and some good benefits. Enough expansion and turnover to create frequent openings and advancement at diverse levels.

Cons

Growth pains, urgently needing work, of organization doubling in size over just 5 years.

Advice to Management

Draw on the capacities of the people you already have.

2. Very "ware-house" oriented - not enough therapeutic treatment - overworked and stressed out employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brattleboro, VT (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brattleboro, VT (US)

I worked at Brattleboro Retreat full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, 5 weeks of paid leave (includes holidays and sick time). Some really wonderful, dedicated people work here. Some of the units are better to work on than others. The climate between the units vary drastically.

Cons

Unfortunately, the dedicated people who work here do not stay long due to a "top-heavy" approach in the hospital, where management does not consider the staffs needs very much. Staff gets worked to the bone and when they are burned out they can leave. The leadership makes decisions based on what makes the most sense to them and how quickly and easily one can be replaced, hence people get thrown under the bus without blinking an eye, if it serves the managerial agenda. The place is unionized, which is a true blessing.

Advice to Management

Time to replace 2/3 of the managers with younger people from the outside. Most of the management has been here for 20+ years and acts accordingly. The place needs some fresh blood.