CSM Corporation

www.csmcorp.net
  www.csmcorp.net
There are newer employer reviews for CSM Corporation

CSM

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at CSM Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Large network of locations in Minneapolis

Cons

Poor coaching, managers only care about themselves

6 Other Employee Reviews for CSM Corporation (View Most Recent)

Great Culture, So-So Pay, Good Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at CSM Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CSM Corporation is a great company to work for if you like a closer-knit culture that almost seems like a family. As someone who greatly values that level of camaraderie, I quickly came to appreciate the culture and values of the company.

At least in the Minneapolis locations (where the company is headquartered), there is a very open door culture: I have never felt I couldn't reach out to my higher ups beyond the hotel level if I needed assistance or guidance. This seems pretty rare, and is one of the blessings of working for a small-to-medium sized company.

Many of the managers and upper-level corporate team have been with the company for over several years, something I've rarely seen at any hotel company I've worked for, which speaks volumes. At the hotel level, there is a good amount of teamwork between sales and operations. While they don't always seem eye-to-eye, they have always been willing to listen to both sides and give you the autonomy to do what you think is right.

I love the fact that CSM takes volunteering very seriously - between Ronald McDonald House and other events, there is always something to do if you want to reach out to your local community and network with your colleagues. CSM really does feel like a second family to me, after only a year.

CSM has a good amount of hotels in the Minneapolis metro, which is great for personal growth, as there are opportunities for advancement. The work/life balance for a Sales Manager is also exceptional. The company also has a lot of very positive things on the horizon, and the company is doing just fine financially.

Cons

While there are annual sales trainings to keep skills fresh, there was little to no training at the hotel level. I was effectively trained by another Sales Manager and had to teach myself both property management systems with no formal training.

Benefits are decent, but the annual explanation during open enrollment needed work, as it was not explained very thoroughly - despite the fact that there is a decently large HR department downtown.

Bonuses aren't very good - I made double on my quarterly bonuses in my previous positions with a different company. For multi-hotel clusters (depending), sales bonuses are based on overall hotel performativity, not individual sales goals, which has its ups and downs. You will be expected to meet individual revenue goals, but your bonus is based on metrics on the overall hotel performance. Even if you work your tail off and make 130% of your sales "goals", if the hotel doesn't make its metrics, you're not getting much. Bonuses were about $500-$600 quarterly...half of what I made at previous jobs.

The company values aren't for everyone. If you are the type that clocks in and clocks out and doesn't invest in your work family, you may not like it. CSM was described as being "cult-like" and I can definitely see that - if you're in, you're in, but if you're not, you may not enjoy it. That said, it was pretty easy to be welcomed into the culture and I definitely like it.

The pay is my biggest gripe. As a seasoned hotelier with a diverse background, even with negotiations, I had to settle on a salary that was less than I felt my qualifications necessitated. Sales Managers selling for multiple hotel clusters receive little-to-no pay increase for doing so. I've often felt the amount of work required of managing sales for multiple properties compared to the pay is not equal.

With high employee retention, I can see why many people stay with CSM, but despite my background, I struggled to advance to other sales positions at other properties to further my career. Perhaps patience is a virtue, as I've seen many others get promoted internally, but the way in which mine were handled left a bit to be desired.

Hotels are kept in good, clean, safe condition, but many of CSM's properties are aging extended stay hotels. Renovations ( when you're lucky enough to get them) are always on the conservative side, which quickly lose their sparkle. They seem to get the hotel up to the level of the comp set, but seldom exceed them, which can make selling a struggle. Paired with the fact that the older hotels are unlikely to get much in the way of expensive renovations, I would highly encourage CSM to invest in their properties consistently, not just after several years. Just because a hotel is performing well due to location doesn't mean you should rest on your laurels.

There really should be a better employee onboarding and training process, as well as explanation of benefits. While I feel valued by the company, I do not feel paid according to the quality of work I am doing (rather, I'm being paid by the job titled, irrespective of how good/bad I am at at). Many of the mid to upper level management have been with the company for decades: don't rule out the loyalty of your younger managers. They want to invest in you - investing in them by paying them market value (or above) accordingly for their skills (not just their job title) would be very welcome.

Director of Sales

Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at CSM Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None- to be honest this was the worst company I ever worked for. Stay away at all cost.

Cons

Low pay, cost cutting, under staffed, treated employees with lack of respect. Upper manager yelled at hourly associates. They kept door open which fed drama when employee was getting couched. They pulled commission checks for several sales people that earned them.

They did not give employees tools they needed to succeed. More checked an HR box to justify actions. Managers did not like to manage people.

There are newer employer reviews for CSM Corporation