There are newer employer reviews for California Pacific Medical Center

Deliberate employees, Encouraging employers and flexibility of working at your convenience.

Current Intern - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
Current Intern - Research Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center as an intern

Pros

Great Team, Good management, Liberal thinking and Stress-free everytime!

Cons

None as of now.. I like the place.

reviews filtered by
  1. The troops are great, the senior leaders are bad and middle management is egregiously bad.

I have been working at California Pacific Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people who are on the ground taking care of patients, tend to really care about patients. This includes most of the hospitalists and some of the other docs. The medical, dental, and vision benefits are good.

Cons

The middle management pool is made up of old-school micro managers who think this is an assembly line plant and they're descendents of Henry Ford. The senior management care only about saving the hospital money so they can get a bonus on top of their already ridiculous salaries (and there are waaaaayy more executives than necessary--a good ol boy network). The boards of the hospital and foundation are stocked with egomaniacs who care nothing about the art of healing.

Advice to Management

Stop creating unnecessary positions for your friends. Reduce your middle management pool and hire some younger folks with practical experience. Bridge the adversarial divide between your staff and your managers.

2. Outstanding training and supervision

Former Intern - Predoctoral Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Predoctoral Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at California Pacific Medical Center as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Offers enormous amount of high-quality training and supervision by seasoned clinicians. Offers a wide range of work, from in-patient/acute to outpatient (children, adolescents, adults, and couples), from severe mental health disorders to high-functioning individuals with transient adjustment disorders and neurotic-level of functioning.

Cons

No pay for predoctoral intern or for postdoctoral fellows, not as much opportunity to work with children and adolescents as adults and couples. There was no family therapy program when I was there and zero assessment.

Advice to Management

Reincorporate assessment into the training program, become AIPIC or APA-accredited, and offer at least a stipend equal to Access Institute.