Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com
  www.cengage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Unstable, uncertain

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Boston, MA (US)
Current Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people here are great. Hard working, dedicated and trying to do the best job possible. The work/ life balance is favorable and I've generally found it easy to move around between positions. The people with whom I directly work feel strongly about the value of working on educational materials despite the challenges of our industry.

Cons

This industry and this company are undergoing major transitions. We have weathered several large departmental reorganizations with more to come. It's unsettling and demotivating. Despite the company's talk about focusing on digital, from a product development standpoint that's proving to be easier said than done when digital products take weeks and weeks to produce, so there's little speed to market. it's also hard to trust upper managers who either aren't transparent or don't know what they're going to do two months out so give no notice regarding strategic changes. Much comes across as though it's done on a whim with little planning or forethought.

Please stop changing strategies without giving them a chance to work. Please stop reorganizing so frequently. Please involve employees from all levels in some decision making because we could have told you certain things were going to fail, which they did.

397 Other Employee Reviews for Cengage Learning (View Most Recent)

lots of potential - unfortunately favors idiocy and bad managers

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Mason, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Mason, OH (US)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits package is decent, some very talented folks around, interaction with Sr mgmt is ok (but watch your back)

Cons

Technology in use is generally way behind. CLTS mgmt is highly against any type of automation, segmentation of roles is extreme and generally does not favor technologists reaching across and lending a hand, too process oriented, and very political. Promotions generally favor those who brown nose, and not the folks that are able to generate results

Stop putting divisive people in managerial roles, and use the talent you have in house. Stop favoring developers that don't have the proper backgrounds, and stay away from buzzwords (Agile being the top one - they had no idea how to implement, and so hired lots of people from small shops that had zero idea how to work in enterprise and completely ruined the premier product we were building - Mindtap/Nextgen, not to mention the Gale product suites).

once a good company, on its way to oblivion

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Cengage Learning for more than 8 years

Pros

many good people, mostly good products

Cons

hideous leadership and upper management; they are running this company into the ground

hire leaders who actually know the publishing business. stop trying to be something you are not.

There are newer employer reviews for Cengage Learning

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!