Cengage Learning

www.cengage.com

Unstable, uncertain

Product Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsThe people here are great. Hard working, dedicated and trying to do the best job possible. The work/ life balance is favorable and I've generally found it easy to move around between positions. The people with whom I directly work feel strongly about the value of working on educational materials despite the challenges of our industry.

ConsThis industry and this company are undergoing major transitions. We have weathered several large departmental reorganizations with more to come. It's unsettling and demotivating. Despite the company's talk about focusing on digital, from a product development standpoint that's proving to be easier said than done when digital products take weeks and weeks to produce, so there's little speed to market. it's also hard to trust upper managers who either aren't transparent or don't know what they're going to do two months out so give no notice regarding strategic changes. Much comes across as though it's done on a whim with little planning or forethought.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop changing strategies without giving them a chance to work. Please stop reorganizing so frequently. Please involve employees from all levels in some decision making because we could have told you certain things were going to fail, which they did.

Accountability was absent were it was needed most

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Extreme flexibility and able to work from home when not… Cons: Lack of Management training and field presence Advice to Senior Management: offer more in depth training program and have a better… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

House of Cards

Manager (Current Employee) Mason, OH (US)

I have been working at Cengage Learning full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Increasing opportunity throughout my career to collaborate with various teams and to be involved in dynamic projects. … Cons: Company culture, morale, and working knowledge among the employee base has deteriorated over the last 2 years as teams have been realigned multiple times between… Advice to Senior Management: A house is only as stable as its foundation: establish the operational infrastructure and foundation needed to support digital strategy by taking a broad, long-term… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Cengage Learning.

Worked for Cengage Learning? Contribute to the Community!