There are newer employer reviews for Cerner

Good Company with lots of potential growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good pay. care about their employees. work is fun. cerner sponsored events are pretty fun too.

Cons

long hours. really busy. only have one monitor.

715 Other Employee Reviews for Cerner (View Most Recent)

Great Ambience

I worked at Cerner full-time

Pros

Great work culture, Nice people around, Growing company
    US Teams rocks, its great working with them.

Cons

Most of the maintainence work comes to Cerner India
    Hectic schedule
    Less challenges in work

Salary + innovation tie employees to company. Give challenges to employees

It's a good 'starter' job for fresh college graduates...get in...get out

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been at Cerner for over 5 years now and can definitely see the changes from when I first started. As for the good, It's a great "out of college" job to get your feet wet. All types of technologies and learning experiences that will look great on your resume. Hours are pretty flexible, I pretty much come and go as I please. And of course being a healthcare company, the sky is the limit for growth. Very young workforce. A free gym is a nice perk as well, unfortunately those of us at innovations have been

Cons

When I started, the average starting salary was very competitive for the midwest. Problem was, once they reeled us in with the nice starting salary...they then gave us horrible raises. Even in cases of promotions. Promotions all depend on your team, manager and of course office politics. I highly recommend getting on a team that gets a lot of exposure. Do not be afraid to move to another team after you have started. And make sure to keep a steady convo on "What it takes to get to the next level" with your manager. You really have to push it. There is no doubt in my mind that they get an order from higher management to keep promotions to a minimal. It seems that cerner is more concerned with hiring cheaper labor(fresh college grads, work visa international citizens, etc) than keeping experienced engineers. They've actually been on a crazy hiring spree lately bringing in tons of international workers. My advice is get some experience here for 2-5 years while pushing for promotions and then start looking for the next opportunity else where.

Instead of going on the hiring spree, how about retaining your current employees with all of the knowledge . Also, there should be more uniformity with promotions. A promotion is more dependent on the manager's personality than the engineer's actual skills/experience/performance. I've seen teams with "cool" managers who vouch and push their upper execs to get promotions for their engineers without the engineer even asking(which is great!)......while other managers have to be practically begged to even discuss possible promotions with their engineers.

There are newer employer reviews for Cerner