There are newer employer reviews for Ciena

Changing times

Current Employee - Sales Director in Linthicum, MD (US)
Current Employee - Sales Director in Linthicum, MD (US)

I have been working at Ciena full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Technology innovation; leader in Optical transport

Cons

Too many ex Nortel personnel in middle management roles, stifling innovation
Terrible HR personnel and unprofessional practices

Advice to Management

Sack Business Ops bean counters who are basically clueless and add no value .

reviews filtered by
  1. It has been good experience working at Ciena so far.

Current Contractor - IT Service Desk/IT Support in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Contractor - IT Service Desk/IT Support in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Less Work Pressure, Independence in terms of vacations and holidays, Good processes and technology to learn from. FOOD dominantly plays important role. Good food.

Cons

Growth is limited, Sudden and instant terminator from job, Salary is less Keep most of the employees on contract thus keeping us biased from EMPLOYEES in terms of facilities.

Advice to Management

Keep the employee satisfaction as a key strategy to get best out of a employees, as you have in a past couple of years, sustain it.

An honest opinion

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Ciena full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. Saturday morning you can be @ your native place if you are in 0-700 km radius from Delhi
    2. Enjoy weekend with wife/family/girlfriend or liquor ..no office-office in weekend
    3. Work - No Rocket Science, if you are an average performer this is the right place for you
    4. If you know how to talk well, kudos..!! believe me you are among 1% of the total employees of Ciena india !
    5. There is a big lucrative after you successfully complete the project/release. A mail of appreciation from Mgr with few spelling mistakes, couple of forwarded mail and e-APPLAUSE - worth 0 INR

Cons

1. If you know technology, you might never get a chance to use it.
    2. A lot of closed door zero transparency meetings ! Mind it.. doors are with zero transparency too :)
    3. You saw managers smiling ? will happen only when they are with their peers !
    4. Ciena India got a mention globally ..come on...it must be community outreach/best workplace/diwali-dhamaka or cricket

Advice to Management

1. Managers please start acting smart. Your dull faces create further antipathy.
    2. Please get technical sessions conducted across the teams.. let them feel it is technology industry.. not a coding only factory !
    3. Get few people in the management with strong communication skills (even if they lack on technical front) so that in the meetings across sites they can defend their employees view rather accepting/agreeing on everything.
    4. Inspire your employee with awards/recognitions, you will get 200%out of them
    5. Managers please speak in english in meetings to create professional atmosphere

There are newer employer reviews for Ciena