Clifford Chance US

www.cliffordchance.com
  www.cliffordchance.com
There are newer employer reviews for Clifford Chance US

Job Insecurity while Maintaining Employment

Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY (US)
Current Employee - Administrative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

The pay is in the median range for other law firms of this size. Profit sharing is good. Vacation time generous. Management willing to be flexible with scheduling.

Cons

The firm has gone through multiple rounds of layoffs and nobody is ever quite certain there won't be another one. No recognition for a job well done but this may be an industry standard. Firm has cut back so much financially in an effort to boost partner bonuses that the environment is negative. Holiday parties are minimal. Annual bonuses are stagnant. Pay increases were frozen for a year, then we were given a small percentage the following year. Workload is oppressive at times since so many people were let go. This Firm has a history of managment sticking their heads in the sand in an effort to keep their vulnerable jobs. (Out of sight, out of mind I guess.)

Don't just smile and nod your head when an employee has a valid complaint and seeks resolution. The problems will not go away by ignoring them and you're just making your loyal employees feel unappreciated. And yes, financial compensation goes a long way to prove how appreciative you are since the words are rarely spoken.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Clifford Chance US (View Most Recent)

Typical law firm

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

Good compensation, somewhat interesting work

Cons

Constant layoffs and partner upheaval. Firm management is not transparent at all. London impacts all of New York's managing decisions

Talk more to associates and actually explain firm developments.

There are very few if any benefits to work for Clifford Chance US if you are in any support services roles.

I have been working at Clifford Chance US

Pros

I was able to develop my skills so I can now find a job where they value my contributions.

Cons

I work in IT and have seen this firm decimated since the Roger Wells merger with Clifford. Every year for the last seven has seen more and more lay offs. After the AMP abdicated power to a London transplant for a COO things have escalated down hill. The London management team continue to communicate and demonstrate their disdain for the US. London refuses to recognize the talent of any staff member that works outside of London. They only hire Directors who are weak then so their is no open discussion or push-back on their decisions -- I'm not even sure our Director knows the difference between a SAN and a fan. Their style of management benefits the weak and underperforming. On the attorney side they drove off all the rain-makers and have been unable to attract any solid laterals. They bled their talent and the only ones left are those that can't find a job any where else.

Respect and value the contributions of all your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Clifford Chance US