There are newer employer reviews for Columbia University

Great campus job for undergrad

Former Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Office Assistant in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Columbia University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Job is great if you have computer skills, relaxed environment, food is allowed, schedule is flexible, supervisors are willing to work around your class schedule

Cons

Not terribly challenging, supervisors are busy with their own work so they don't always have time to give you assignments, very easy to end up sitting behind a computer for six hours surfing the Internet

reviews filtered by
  1. It's a Job........

I have been working at Columbia University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love working with my teams. Meet new people everyday. Routine work daily. Vacation and sick time ok. Have made some good friends, including co-workers and students. Things has change some for the good and some for the bad..... Have learned alot on how to deal and interact with people from all over the world.

Cons

Some department are not team players, no room for growth. Have to transfer to new position in order to move up. Trying to union bust. Limited to certain promgrams to study. Pay could be better. Some of the Upper management are not friendly. When new programs or systems are brought in no proper training and some time no real beneifits to emplyees who rely on it as a part of daily task. It may not matter how well you work at it all they see is the color of your skin and you may not get a fair overview because of it.

Advice to Management

Greet employees with smiles. Get employees input on programs that will affected they daily tasks. Have productive meeting that will benefit employees as well as the students.

2. Intellectual environment is superb, administration is terrible

I have been working at Columbia University

Pros

Some of the most intelligent people on the planet work here. Lots of opportunities to collaborate across disciplines.

Cons

It takes about 2 months to get paid when you begin. Reimbursements? MAYbe you'll be paid back within 3 months, maybe not.

Advice to Management

Make your administrators responsible for their actions, or in almost every case, their INaction.