There are newer employer reviews for Con Edison

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee  in  New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

Cons

I felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

It's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

32 Other Employee Reviews for Con Edison (View Most Recent)

Probably the best place to work in New York

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable industry, decent compensation and benefits, nice people to work with...

Cons

Bureaucratic and inefficient system in general...

The company needs more young and talented engineers

Good place to learn about the utility industry

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison

Pros

Con Edison was a place where an intern has many opportunities to learn about the different aspects of an utility company. The managers are often relaxed and are eager to teach you and give you opportunities to experience things about ConEd that are perhaps not in your immediate job description.

Cons

It is a very large company so the management structure is very corporate. It is easy to feel disconnected with the overall goals of the company simply because there are so many people between any employee and the senior management.

There are newer employer reviews for Con Edison

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!