CouchSurfing

www.couchsurfing.org

Best decision I ever made

Current Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros...was coming to work for Couchsurfing.
The people Couchsurfing attracts are dedicated, intelligent, optimistic, hard-working, professionals who want to change the world for the better, and have a positive outlook reflective of that desire.
This means that people here are aligned in our mission to facilitate people all over the world to connect in meaningful ways, by creating the best tool possible for doing so.
Open, frank communication is the norm among the staff, including upper management.
We all know each other, and eat meals together every day.
Management creates opportunities for learning and growing into new positions for those with aptitude and drive. They are clear with staff about deliverables and job performance expectations, and make every effort to facilitate us reaching our goals.
We work collaboratively. I feel my experience and input here is valued.
It is fun! People here laugh a lot, and care a great deal about what we do, and who is affected by it.

ConsThe transition from the Couchsurfing of yesteryear to what Couchsurfing is now has been intense. Having been through several iterations of this organization's business structures, I can say that, as difficult as the staff, site, and communication changes have been, this organization, and the community that is persevering, is going to be better off for the changes, Dramatically so.
However, in this crucial period, the multiple challenges of supporting our members in their endeavors, creating the most amazing site possible for them, maintaining our dedication to the safest and healthiest community of sharing individuals, and communicating about all of these things effectively is a real challenge. Exciting and daunting every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing: reaching out to individual members with experience who believe in what we're doing and take their advice, being diligent in taking the global perspective and considering all of the factors when making decisions, working collaboratively with your whole staff.

An inspiring place to work

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: Before I even started working for Couchsurfing, it was the reason I got up in the morning! The Couchsurfing community has been part of my… Cons: It's hard work! And because of the changes happening to the website, not everyone knows the answer to everything. There is no set path and… Advice to Senior Management: Keep on keepin' on. Keep infusing the original spirt and mission of Couchsurfing… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Dynamic, performance-based workplace that's finally gaining momentum

Product Team Leader (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at CouchSurfing full-time for less than a year

Pros: Couchsurfing has (finally) completed planned lay-offs of low-performing staff and is now picking up a huge amount of momentum. The company is moving at the… Cons: There's a ton of work to do to repair the relationship between the company and the community of Couchsurfing. Couchsurfing (the company) has a history… Advice to Senior Management: Keep moving. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on CouchSurfing.

Worked for CouchSurfing? Contribute to the Community!