There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Covance - too much talk and not enough substance

Current Employee - Study Director in Harrogate, England
Current Employee - Study Director in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Can be a fairly dynamic work place. Opportunities do exist to move upwardly within the organisation if you are willing to tow the company line.

Cons

Poor systems, unwillingness to change, static thinking, lack of togetherness. Attracts some good staff but doesnt retain them. Most managers appear to be people who have stayed at the company for years and have created there own little kingdoms. This tends to result in a lack of cooperation and an insular approach to the other departments. More emphasis needs to be put on performing quality work and producing a quality product. This may impact on throughput and cost but the client retention is likely to improve.

Advice to Management

Try to have a thorough update of in house reporting systems and listen to staff about the problems with these systems. 6 sigma is too slow to remedy many of the immediate faults.

reviews filtered by

Analytical Chemist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Covance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Covance because of my co-workers. The benefits are excellent. You start out with 21 days of PTO. 6% 401K match.

Cons

Down side of excellent benefits is lower pay, much lower than its competitors. It's also very difficult to have a 40 hours work week there. Too many changes in the leadership team, which cause discontinuity.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' needs before making major decisions. Although you have the right to choose who gets to work under you, you should also consider if the person is being perceived by his/her peers.

Changes

Current Employee - IT Director in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - IT Director in Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Since I joined three years ago, the amount of positive change we've made on the IT/ Informatics front has been nothing short of remarkable. Anything that isn't up to date or cutting edge now, will be in 2015. Been a great ride so far, looking forward to more.

Cons

LabCorp merger has come and gone. So far things are unchanged within the clinical development area; the word is 'business as usual' until you hear otherwise. Having been down this road before, I'm waiting to see what happens next. It might be great but change is always challenging.

Advice to Management

Find a way to offer more in-house education and opportunities to get out and speak about how much better we've become.