There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Covance - too much talk and not enough substance

Current Employee - Study Director  in  Harrogate, England
Current Employee - Study Director in Harrogate, England

I have been working at Covance

Pros

Can be a fairly dynamic work place. Opportunities do exist to move upwardly within the organisation if you are willing to tow the company line.

Cons

Poor systems, unwillingness to change, static thinking, lack of togetherness. Attracts some good staff but doesnt retain them. Most managers appear to be people who have stayed at the company for years and have created there own little kingdoms. This tends to result in a lack of cooperation and an insular approach to the other departments. More emphasis needs to be put on performing quality work and producing a quality product. This may impact on throughput and cost but the client retention is likely to improve.

Try to have a thorough update of in house reporting systems and listen to staff about the problems with these systems. 6 sigma is too slow to remedy many of the immediate faults.

288 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Strange place to work

Former Employee - IT Administrator  in  Princeton, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - IT Administrator in Princeton, NJ (US)

I worked at Covance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The food court and parking on site

Cons

no cell phone service in their building; if you don't work directly with someone, they are not personable people. Everything is done in a whisper

Come down to middle managements level and socialize

Should I stay or should I go

Current Employee - Program Specialist  in  Greenfield, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Greenfield, IN (US)

I have been working at Covance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits offered are out standing; each healthcare professional I have given my Dental, Health, Vision or prescription card has consistently remarked "Wow you have really great insurance." The majority of my co-worker are a pleasure to work with and a few have become dear friends.

Cons

There is rampant lack of communication. I personally have had several different supervisors in my years of employment with Covance. Just this year I realized that each time I changed to a new supervisor they had absolutely no idea of my accomplishments. This was rather surprising especially as every employee is subject to a mid-year and year-end performance review, which lists the employees accomplishments that year. Also when you put forth what you feel is a lot of effort into training, data base testing, and other things that are not technically listed as one of your job duties only just to receive review that you "MEET" expectations and after applying for promotion told you were not chosen because not everyone knows your skills you have. It's just ridiculous.

In a large company you should always want to know why great employees are leaving and not just consider it an acceptable cost of doing business. These great employees are leaving because they have ambition for growth that is not being met while what appears overall less qualified colleagues are rewarded. I personally am at a cross roads about whether I want to stay with a company where I feel I am just suffocating and that is a feeling is becoming unbearable.

There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Worked for Covance? Contribute to the Community!