There are newer employer reviews for Covance

Gone downhill

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working remotely, benefits, PTO, Bonus

Cons

Lack of company culture, greediness, male dominated funnel

310 Other Employee Reviews for Covance (View Most Recent)

Horrible local management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rome (Italy)

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, independence, pay, contract, benefits, office.

Cons

Horrible management that doesn't care about employees. Line managers do everything to de-motivate you and make you understand that you are nothing and they are everything. Trying to attack employees to show to their managers that they are "capable of determing and solving the issues", "escalate" is the favourite word of our managers (so many examples when they tried to attack an employee who happenned to have written proof that there was no issue... never heard "sorry" from the managers).
    New line manager that has no communication skills, knows nothing about managing people and is very hard to work with.

Please, organize at least one useful survey: a country-specific (and anonimous obviously) questionnaire for employees to rate their managers. There are so many unsaid problems, which we cannot obviously escalate if we want to keep our job.

Worst job I've ever had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ (US)

I have been working at Covance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- PTO time isn't bad (of course, that assumes you can actually take time off without getting grief from your project leads)
    - Some managers allow work at home

Cons

As my title states- overall the worst job I've ever had (and that includes retail jobs I worked at in high school!). Some of the key issues:
    - Poor management. Example- after 6 months, employee asked their manager if they had any input on their performance. Manager gave employee a blank stare and said "Well, I don't really work with you on any studies.".... Manager was actually the project lead assigned to supervise 2 of the employee's studies.
    - Occasionally abusive management. I have seen more than a couple people practically (or actually) in tears after getting screamed at by their manager or project leads. Some people called on the carpet in front of clients without prior notice, which is just ridiculously unprofessional.
    - Appallingly poor training. I have never worked at a company with such a scatter-shot training program.
    - Slow path to advancement in some departments. Several good employees in my department have been leaving because they were frustrated with the promotion process. You need to serve a 2-year minimum "sentence" - it does not matter how well (or how poorly) you work.
    - Good workers are slammed with work and others (namely, pals of management) slide. Some people spend most of their day screwing around, while others have to work overtime just to keep up.

TRAINING!!
    - Teach your managers how to manage- some of the managers that want to try, don't seem to know where to begin
    - Train your staff on how to do their jobs rather than just berate them when they don't meet your (unclear) expectations

There are newer employer reviews for Covance