Cree
www.cree.com Durham, NC 1000 to 5000 Employees

Unrealized Potential

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Cree

Pros1. Cree demands absolute accountability from it's employees, at least in my division. There is an overwhelming amount of talent in the company and it shows. For the most part, management keeps an open-door policy and will try to support you in meeting the goals of the business. The business is exciting and Cree has a world-class product in lighting-class LEDs. The compensation is good, especially for a young Engineer carrying some serious financial responsibility.

2. You are given no leash at all on the tools at Cree in my group. You can learn as many as you want and go as deeply as you want to. Once you learn something, you basically become responsible for it. It's an interesting system. You naturally fall into a tool.

3. I have come to call Cree a "boot camp" for Engineers. It is a very marketable resume builder because it is known for yielding world-class work ethic if you can make it through at least a year.

4. The triangle is a fantastic place to live. I particularly love Chapel Hill and Raleigh. It's swimming with young professionals who have money and like to go out.

Cons1. Unforunately, the IT systems at Cree are not very good and information is not shared well. I find myself constructing reports that should be completely automated at least 1-2 times per day. That is the biggest downside to Cree. As a result, young Engineers must work extraordinary amounts of hours. The reviews saying you work 60 hours a week are not exaggerating. If you are new, you will live there. You will also be new for a very long time, which is why I see many people that are gone before the 2 year mark. It's basically expected.

2. Generally, 2 days off per week are allowed for salaried Engineers, but sometimes we even work on our weekends. This is the main reason for the title of my review. Cree needs to learn that people work to live, not live to work.

3. You will not get the conventional weekends as a new Engineer. Most entry level people will work Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday and work extremely odd hours.

4. Cree does not encourage other pursuits in your life or any professional development besides "on-the-job" learning.

5. Lower-level employees generally get very little credit for sometimes remarkable feats. Then, they are belittled in front of the team when things don't go well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat people fairly. You are continuing to lose tremendously talented people who love your company and products and would be passionate about your business if they could lead a normal life. Fix the IT system and automate some more processes. This will allow the company to launch products faster.

Need to value employees more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cree

Pros: Can gain some experience s Cons: Limited growth opportunity, company has some fairness issue. After a while, you start thinking everyday that what… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good work ex when you come out of college.. but NOT worth spending your 20s in a company like this!!

Process Development Engineer (Current Employee)
Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Cree

Pros: 1) Critical management comments make you rise up to the occasion each time... that helps in polishing your skills 2) hands on experience were they expect… Cons: 1) ZERO work-life balance 2) not a company for a person in their 20s where you need to see the world and have fun... work schedules… Advice to Senior Management: - Be nice to your engineers at times - UNDERSTAND that your employees are your greatest wealth and strength. Treat them well and and you will… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Cree.

Worked for Cree? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cree reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Cree CEO Chuck Swoboda. All reviews posted anonymously by Cree employees.