DISH

www.dish.com
  www.dish.com
There are newer employer reviews for DISH

sweatshop labor 2.0

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Green Bay, WI (US)
Former Employee - Installation Technician in Green Bay, WI (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they will hire anyone with a pulse

Cons

•Pay is as unclear as the hours you will work. I was never able to figure out how they were paying me even when i was hourly. If you figure in the cost of commuting to the far out location of the base and it your tool rental cost, expect make below minimum wage for at least 2 years
•Expect "bad dog" training tactics. anytime anything goes wrong and it will everyday they will find a way to lower your pay for the following month as a form of reprimanding you for something that may or may not be your fault.
•Hours worked make it an extremely unsafe work enviroment. All the techs look like they ae trying out for a part on The Walking Dead. My trainer veared off the road many times sacaring the !@&* out of me.

Try hiring robots.

Ive never seen a more out of touch regional manager. Nothing can be said here to get it through to them that the DISH contract for techs is in dire need of repair.

Working anywhere else will be better. McDonnalds Burger King, anything is better than DISH

1856 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

It's what you make of it.

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

First job out of college and it was a great learning experience especially for a recent grad. Dish has been good to me. Career Advancement is your choice - you have to voice your desire to move up and often. I love the people I work with and have found it to be a supportive environment.

Cons

I don't have much to complain about but I do see how some people leave with a bad taste in their mouth - with that said the C.E.O has taken great strides in improving moral. If you hate micromanaging and can't stand it - Dish is not for you. If you don't want to work hard - don't bother. You are expected to give 110%. I'm in my 20s and I can say the biggest con is moral - its pretty low. I think that's partially due to the world in which my generation has grown up in where we always get a pat on the back - everyone wins and everyone expects their boss to be perfect. For those people they aren't in touch with reality. The core hours was a problem but has since been gotten rid of by the CEO for 2013. Lack of communication between teams - everyone has a silo view and doesn't think about how projects impact others.

Trust your employees to make good decisions.

The Hard Working DISH Employee View

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Recently I read an article released in BusinessWeek.com and I was taken back. I think I am so blown away by not just the article but all past "worst place to work" reviews due to the fact that I am a son of entrepreneurs and actually come from a long line of small and medium size business owners. Business, smart business thinking has been instilled in me from childhood. While most children listen to their parent s complain about their bosses and overtime hours worked I overheard stressful/serious conversations about making payroll, overhead, tax deductions, hiring, benefit choices for employees, process, procedures, manual creation, state mandatory certificates, business licenses and other stressful things that fall on a business owner’s shoulders that most do not realize it takes to keep a business floating. It amazes me how much bad feedback has been produced about DISH in a time when the job market and economic down turn are at their highest. DISH has created jobs for tens of thousands of people while maintaining brand awareness, new product market entry and creating no bad debt when doing business. This screams job security in a time when companies are in debt, going bankrupt, laying off employees and are not/will not hire during these hard times. The last time I checked DISH has plenty of positions open for positions from entry level all the way to higher executive positions. I have seen people hired and chosen for positions at DISH based on both experience and/or education with little discrimination for one or the other. The company is about results and number 1, the customer. Speaking from experience I am a perfect example of someone who had been laid off during the economic downturn, was hired by DISH and has now been promoted 3 times within 4.3 years being with the company. I hold no Masters or Doctorate for the industry I am in or for the work I do. However I have been rewarded for hard work and results. I will share that my salary has gone up 50+% since day 1 at the company including benefits combined with additional commission/bonus opportunities on top of salary during a time when other companies/corporations are going bankrupt and not hiring, God bless you DISH! It is comical to read how miserable people are or how horrible it is to work at DISH however you only read about 1 phase/period where there were layoffs/terminations at DISH in these articles. I would like to see a comparison of DISH layoffs/terminations due to the fact the company has no money to pay or that a section of DISH is going “under”. When DISH performed its "talent upgrades" it wasn't to save a buck, it also seems that we have been performing bigger and better since. DISH is a great place to work if you want job security at a company where you do not have to fear it going under. If you wish to be part of a winning team that will continue to make smart business decisions for the greater good benefiting the company as a whole than DISH is for you. Smart business is great business. I take pride in the fact that I am part of a team that contributes to smart business creating company and job security for all.

Cons

Travel expenses, car rentals, hotels, etc (excluding flights) are placed on personal credit cards and expensed. Although expense reports are a normal corporate practice most companies have employee’s expense meals only or pay a daily rate for meals during travel days. For road warriors placing hotels, car rentals, fuel and meals fills up credit cards fast while accumulating interest. It would benefit DISH a great deal to place hotels, car rentals and fuel on company credit cards built in to a travel tool or employee issued credit cards while paying a daily rate for meals on the employees next check. It would also take loads of stress off their travelers selling their incredible product. Be sure to get yourself a minimum of a $5,000 limit on your personal credit card(s) and be sure to fill out those expense reports every week so you do not get receive hundreds (potentially thousands) in interest fees if you will be traveling for DISH. That’s my only con.

Keep doing a great job!