There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Excellent Use of Slight of Hand

Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative  in  Christiansburg, VA (US)
Current Employee - Advanced Technical Support Representative in Christiansburg, VA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is good to have access to the product at no additional cost. Very good about reconfiguring your schedule if needed once per month. Seem to be consumer minded.

Cons

everything is about numbers and aligning all of them. The higher or more prominent your position the less training and more scrutiny. If you can resolve an issue by spending an average of 10% more time, you are not performing your duties correctly and will be disciplined. There are a few incentives that are almost inexhaustably impossible to attain the criteria for. The drawings and prizes are coincidentally won by a small population who are close with management. Most of the agents who are more seasoned have already been discredited by the new policies and compliance and have quote, "been let go." Instances of personality and vocal inflection have caused many to lose their job. Extra time is in surplus and heavy handedly inflicted on the agents. For some, it is nice but for. Most who have family and obligations, it is imposing and rarely dismissive for those locked into unbreakable obligations. "Have a backup! Then have a backup for the backup! Have a backup for that," exclaims one of the managers. If we could afford to have so many people expendable, why would we need to work for so little for so long? There are a lot of issues with aspects of the job being oversold and under delivered. These would encompass things like time off and pay/salary. The benefits for medical cover next to nothing for my family yet exhume roughly $500 of my check each month. Human Resources seem to only work for those who are inappropriate. They accept no responsibility in assisting people with issues regarding anything else. Recently had an event that qualified for a change to benefits, however, it took too long for anyone to let us know. Once notified, we contacted our insurance provider and they advised there are no issues, Dish just needs to add the necessary changes. At this point, denied. They denied to do so and they denied ANY responsibility. Later, if left us holding a $13,000 bill for unseen circumstances. When Dish stands behind you, it is only to see what you are doing and to ensure there is no need for disciplinary action in what you are doing. Furnishing my cellphone information for management's use seems a little too extreme for what is needed for us to conduct our day to day jobs. There was a lot of stipulation about Dish's work environment and they offered to make amends by having all the employees take a survey. Mostly of the questions were about what makes Dish such a great company and what we like most about Dish. How pretentious and arrogant. Selling is now a key point of the job, whether someone needs it or not. No one is safe, not your mother or grandmother or grandfather...it is now an agent's job to squeeze every cent out of every customer. I, myself, will most likely not make the cut much longer due to the company's focus on quantity over quality. Ask this ask that, if that does not work, transfer....or in my case, send someone else to resolve the issue. There is much to fix with the way agents and supervisors are treated and it should start at the top. Especially since a few of them have fired people because they did not like the way they sounded on the phones....or the way they responded to their questions or to one of the regular agents. Some of us have lasted the skimming off the top but for some of us, our time is nearing. When confronted with notice of your employment's impending doom, the only thing they have to say is, "What tools or what can we do to help you?" "Tell me how you want it done right," is not an answer. What is ironic/unfortunate, is that when you want to offer feedback, you are labeled a miscreant/ a complainer. A person in management once told me, "Become a supervisor and then part of management and then you have a voice." You see where the masses' opinions are now.

Start fresh with someone who can maintain morale and not contribute to churn in our employees. People who do not even like the job still show up and do a great job....at least til you send them out the door. Most of your employees who last do not care for people, they half-heart, and most are pretty well medicated--check THOSE numbers. Most of our supervisors and agents who are lasting are on anxiety/depression medication or have professional assistance. There is too much emphasis on getting all kinds of metrics high(satisfaction and call time...and more)...what about taking a little more time to do things right and not be disciplined for taking more time. 1 minute is what will relinquish me of my job. Highest call proficiency in the enterprise with only 10 people calling back each month but my 1 minute of extra call time will doom my job. That business model, in my and other people's mind, is a little flawed. That is the story of how we as a company conduct business. Quantity over quality and money over many. Yeah, it works, but not for most of us that support the company working long hours and getting paid just enough to stay alive long enough to repeat the cycle the next day. Do you know that most of your staff who talk to most of your revenue producers are living in substandard housing, cannot be the primary source of income, and some even need government assistance? Of course you do, you sign the checks after all.

1764 Other Employee Reviews for DISH (View Most Recent)

Much improved DISH - THANK YOU!

Current Employee - Management  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Management in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I certainly could add all of the negative things I'v experienced through the years, however, I dont feel that would reflect the great things that have occurred over the last 24 months. We are no longer JUST a satellite company, we have made key acquisitions, partnerships, and changes to improve our position, customer retention and most importantly employee retention. I feel Joe Clayton was a muched needed energy for the company. Its his vision, excitement and passion that we see which drives us to do better.

Frankly, it bothers me that we have employees who don't feel appreciated. I don't think thats a reflection of the entire company v. the individual manager who hasn't taken the time to recognize your acomplishments, or give you the reward/recognition.

This is a technology company, we MUST work harder, and smarter that many companies if we want to continue being a viable company in the future. Technology changes, customer want MORE, and dont want to always pay for it. therefore, we must constantly be on the move, otherwise, we'll get passed by.

I dont think Charlie Ergen started this company with just 14 million subscribers in mind. Frankly, I'm glad we have a Chairman who's vision keeps us employed, and a CEO who has taken the time to make things better for the employees.

I'm proud to say I work for Dish Network!

Cons

Oddly enough, I have to enter something in the CONS section, if I want to submit my review.

Continue the rewards/recognition. The praise goes along way with employees. I'm in the room with employees, and when we see/hear the passion of our senior leadership it fuels us to WIN.

Worst Company to Work for

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

Flexibility, freedom, meeting new people

Cons

Dish does not value their employees, never any positive feedback from management, made to feel that the job you do is never good enough. Terrible communication and always a blindside.

Positive reinforcement goes a long way and so does trust.

There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!