There are newer employer reviews for DISH

Promised a great opportunity, provided a lie

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great tech's that work hard everyday. Four day work week. Great direct Managment. Ok pay.

Cons

Techs are overloaded pay a dispatch computer that sends them all over the map with dispatchers who don't care. Upper management screams about points per hour but says the dispatch system doesn't have anything to do with it. Upper management tells lower to do things that are completely unrealistic. Wants van layouts that Dont work And then want to punish techs for not having their vans to layout. Consistently raise monthly goals for sales that techs have to meet and threaten to write them up if they don't meet the goals. Meanwhile, they are trying to finish 7 jobs and bring some of those jobs up to standard that subcontractors did wrong. Providing insurance that is useless unless you get in to a major accident but charge you $150 a paycheck to have it. Upper management doesn't care what their lower managers have to say. They will tell their IM's and FSM's one thing one day and another the next. Get angry when they didn't accomplish goals when the goals were not reachable to begin with. Upper management doesn't care now nor will they ever care about the techs. If a manager shows any kind of loyalty to a tech, that manager is singled out and they find a way to punish him. To show you the integrity of the company. When Dish was listed "As the worst company to work for" all of our managers received e mails from The Colorado home office stating. Please go to Glassdoor.com and tell everyone how wonderful it is to work here at Dish. That may be true in Colorado, in the field elsewhere however, no. Run far and run fast. Just don't run to here.....

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who are actually in the field doing the job. Don't threaten people or make them feel like they don't matter but tell them to treat others like gold. Train people better so they don't get in to the field and get lost. You can't expect people to do a good job without providing the tools

reviews filtered by

I was one of their best up and coming new technicians and was treated, for lack of a better term, like garbage.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Monmouth Junction, NJ (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was plenty of work to be had. You rarely ever didn't make overtime any given week.

Cons

Customer jobs are given a predetermined amount of points and performance is measured by hours worked and points completed. Daily workloads sometimes require extra attention and work to correctly install customers, resulting in long hours more days than not, resulting in poor "points per hour" or PPH, though jobs are completed properly. Other performance areas suffer if you try to improve PPH. New performance measurements and expectations are always being added and modified against the technician, with no input or feedback from the technician. Technicians are also expected to sell customers expanded services and products including TV screen cleaners. A technician now is expected to keep PPH high, to clean the customers TVs to sell them a $15 product every job, and to sell other products and services. For all intents and purposes we became glorified maids and door to door cold salemen as well as technicians, with no significant extra compensation or incentives. The blame goes to the corporate culture and not so much management because management is just passing on what corporate expects from the technicians and even if they do complain to corporate for us, nothing is ever done. Everything is always negative. You could be the best technician with the best numbers in all tracked performance categories, if you didn't meet your sales goal for the month or didn't make goal in just one category, the environment corporate and management set up, you get beaten down for failing in that category and not glorified for success in all others. Even though there are clear correlations between categories like PPH and others that contradict each other. Success in one reduces performance in others. The job sets up its employees for failure and not for success. There is also very little trust, you have to constantly take time and steps to cover yourself in case something goes wrong. If you leave anything to chance and something goes wrong, a customer complains for something that was not your fault, it was your fault.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to tell corporate and your superiors what policies they are passing down that don't make sense or are far too demanding of technicians that show little appreciation towards them and little or no appropriate compensation.

Demoralizing, Every Man For Himself Company Culture

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Wilmington, MA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Van, Tools, Training and Uniform provided. No personal investment required (think contractors). Enjoyable to work outdoors. Like any job, I'll miss the people I worked with.

Cons

I started working for Dish with a can-do, carpe diem, make your own opportunities work ethic, and left downtrodden and cynical 18 months later.
    Without exaggeration, in an office of about 20 technicians, an average of one and a half technicians left for every month I worked there. We were hired to work 4x10 shifts, but it was very rare to work less than 12 hours. As we started to lose techs faster than we hired them, one or two days of mandatory overtime a week was the norm. Yes, we were paid, but it was mandatory and usually imposed right before the end of the work week. You made plans for the weekend a month ago? Too bad. You hardly ever spend time with friends or family because you're desperate to hold on to your $14/hour job? Take it or leave it. This multibillion dollar company won't risk one penny of its share value to improve working conditions.
    The most important tools used to evaluate your job performance were QAS (quality assurance inspections) and the dreaded metrics. If you fail a single QAS within three months of the last failure, you are ineligible for promotion or any raises. This would actually be reasonable if you were being judged on brand new installs at single family homes in the suburbs. However, not only were we usually tested on triplexes and MDUs in the city where it is impossible, IMPOSSIBLE to do a standard install, but we were held to the same standard for trouble calls, which we were expected to complete within one hour. Did the installer practically destroy the house three years ago? Will it take 3 hours to fix? Too bad, all the other techs have their own ridiculous routes to worry about and you're responsible. At least you can keep your job, though.
    With metrics, your job was constantly at stake and numerous techs were fired by nameless middle managers with access to spreadsheets with our numbers. Thinking that he was coming in for mandatory overtime, one tech was called in on his day off only to discover someone had ordered his termination. The metrics included job completion rate, 12 day trouble call rate, and customer survey score. They were largely out of our control and impossible to dispute.
    I'm against unions in general, but I felt so angry and desperate most of the time, I would have risked my job to join one. I really felt like I had nothing to lose towards the end.

Advice to Management

What is there to say when the CEO responds to legitimate and overwhelmingly negative criticism from rank and file employees by saying there are worse places to work? Where's the concern? The economy is improving and your best employees will not forget how they were treated when they had nowhere else to go. Dish will never again go through a period of adding a million customers a year, and it needs to give a little back (money, benefits, humane working conditions) to its employees if it wants to hang on to the customers it already has. Instead, it has taken a near-sighted approach of extreme cost cutting, and substituting good, local, common sense management with a distant, manage by numbers approach.