There are newer employer reviews for David Jones

Absolute Disastrous Company

Current Contractor - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)
Current Contractor - Sales Assistant in Melbourne (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Your co-workers. Theres always something to chat about, primarily how ghastly the job is.

Cons

Management are atrocious. Having worked in two stores over the course of a year I found management in both store over three departments terrible on the whole. The managers are constantly hounding staff to sell the DJs Amex card to customers, which all the staff know is a dog of a credit card but are forced to do so to keep there jobs. After working there over xmas I had sold numerous cards, whilst my fellow casual sold none. At the end of the period he was fired, yes fired. Although management did not tell him it was over a lack of card sales, it was blindingly obvious as all casuals kept on had sold at least one card.

Furthermore with the understaffing, pressure to sell cards and mismanagement you are getting paid next to nothing. Not even joking, co-workers in there 40s, 50s and 60s were earning $17.40 an hour!

After leaving DJs for another retail role I discovered most retail roles pay in excess of $20+ for someone under 21 like myself, let alone $17 for someone well beyond my age.
If DJs really wants its staff to respect the company, which I can safely say after working in two stores with dozens of staff, they do not, then increasing pay would be step 1 in resurrecting the shreds of respect the staff have towards the brand.

By doing so service to customers and staff harmony would vastly improve. If they don't take action now they will inevitably join the multitudes of other failed big brands in the history books forever more.

Advice to Management

If you want to get to the top prepare to sell your soul!

reviews filtered by
  1. out standing

Current Employee - Counter Manager in Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)
    Current Employee - Counter Manager in Burwood, New South Wales (Australia)

I have been working at David Jones full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dynamic culture and team environments
    Generous discount
    Career progression opportunities
    prestige ,first class atmosphere
    motivation for improvement

Cons

cant think of any >>

Very Good for earning pocket money

Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Logistics Assistant in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at David Jones part-time (more than a year)

Pros

David Jones gave us the best salary in retail industry as a casual worker.

Cons

Managers were changed quite often. During my 1 year+ stay, I had three different managers.

Advice to Management

Get more staff, it's damaging to David Jones' reputation when a customer walked into a department with only one staff member.

There are newer employer reviews for David Jones