There are newer employer reviews for Dean Health Systems

A place of growth and learning

Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI (US)
Current Employee - Clinic Manager in Madison, WI (US)

I have been working at Dean Health Systems

Pros

Ultimate goal of being patient centered makes me proud of the work that is done.
Very much a team approach to the work done.
The voice of all employees at all levels is heard when looking at improving processes

Cons

Our patient population is heavy MA and Medicare which reimburses us very little for services. This forces the organization to be very focused on cost and constantly balancing expenditures. Not necessarily something that is in Deans control, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to spend more on things such as employee events, furniture, staffing.

reviews filtered by

Changing into stereotypical uncaring corporation under current management

Current Employee - Md
    Current Employee - Md

I have been working at Dean Health Systems full-time

Pros

Good benefits - medical, dental, CME, retirement + pension.
    Generally nice coworkers + staff.
    Technology - easy access to ancillary services, electronic record system.

Cons

Staff turnover - too many good nurses leave for better positions elsewhere + underperformers who are friends with clinical manager are not held accountable.
    Increasingly intrusive micromanagement by 'clinical' managers with limited clinical experience.
    Yes-man culture - constructive feedback not welcome if it conflicts with established party line, one way communication from top-down.
    Politics - even as a physician partner, don't expect meaningful input into decision making without connections into the old boys network at the top.

Advice to Management

Realize that a clinic is not a factory and that staff + physicians are not robots. Consider that people on the front lines might actually have useful input that highly paid outside consultants aren't privy to. Work to change the nepotistic and closed culture.

2. Very Satisfying in All Regards Except Remuneration

I worked at Dean Health Systems

Pros

In the right department, managers can be very invested in the development and growth of their staff. Benefit of a smaller company, it is easy to network within the company and across departments, making it less work to engage in cross-functional projects.

Cons

It is a smaller company and therefore not able to compete as well with larger companies to keep quality staff - counter-offers to maintain top-caliber employees simply do not happen, not to mention performance-related raises are meager and bonuses non-existent.

Advice to Management

More transparency and honest disclosure with major decisions and initiatives. Show that you appreciate your hard-working non-exec staff when it counts, or you are going to effectively dis-incent hard work and results in the long run.