There are newer employer reviews for Dow Jones

Work Life balance at its finest

Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Princeton, NJ (US)
Former Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Princeton, NJ (US)

I worked at Dow Jones as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The New Jersey HR team is fantastic, very active in local community

Cons

No covered walkways from parking lot to building

reviews filtered by

Used to be a great place to work with balance and flexibility.

I worked at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

Central location, good cafeteria, gym on-site, and work/family balance.
    Training resources were readily available.
    There used to be reasonable hours and expectations.

Cons

Upper management is a mess and they keep getting promoted/raises. I don't get it. They make really poor decisions and then get rewarded for it?! Outsourcing was a complete disaster. No knock on the folks coming in from the outsourcing companies but really they got what they paid for. In summary, the CIO (DD) has run the IT staff into the ground with his poor decisions which has affected everyone. Get rid of him already and his cronies too.

Advice to Management

Start fresh by wiping out the old cronies in management. Reward some of your loyal and talented staff by promoting them and giving them a chance to turn things around. Give everyone opportunities to earn bonuses if they work hard. Lose the outsourcing. It didn't work.

2. High on freedom to take decisions and act on own initiative but also very political and lacking structure in key areas.

I have been working at Dow Jones full-time

Pros

A place where you can innovate and experiment; relatively flat structure; some amazing colleagues--both from professional and personal point of view; supportive atmosphere; generous benefits; good salaries.

Cons

Often lacking clear direction; generally poor communication from senior management; senior management decisions often appear arbitrary; cliquey; many company systems not up to grade; too high level of job insecurity; career paths lack clarity; internal rivalries can get in the way of achieving the best for the company; poor ethics.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of getting basics of running a business right; seriously raise ethical standards in all aspects of business; de-duplicate the many redundancies but stop obsession with centralisation and think more about getting closer to the customer

There are newer employer reviews for Dow Jones