There are newer employer reviews for Duke University

fantastic opportunities

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC (US)
Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at Duke University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Duke is a fun campus with tons of jobs available for undergraduate students. You will have a lot of competition for jobs, but if you search, there will be no issue.

Cons

The competition for jobs is the toughest part. When there are fantastic opportunities available, students across campus jump at their chance and are tough to beat out.

317 Other Employee Reviews for Duke University (View Most Recent)

Duke Needs an Overhaul

Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Duke University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance and benefits are very good

Cons

Terrible management, inefficient, unproductive; Duke doesn't pay for you to take courses there as you would expect as a staff member; Linda.com is not adequate training for the IT department- need to invest much more in real classes and training; too political; soul-draining; siloed work; duplicate work being done, with competitiveness, secrecy, and hatred between many groups in the same department; I lost 50 IQ points and developed depression from being on staff for several years.

Duke University continues to thrive because of its research, great faculty, its reputation, a great basketball coach/program, and the elitist parents that pay full-price for their children to attend. But, in many parts of Duke, staff are ridiculously poorly managed, inefficient, and unproductive. The ethnicity in its human resources department makes up for lack of diversity in the rest of the staff, but it isn't diversity if HR and other specific departments are primarily one ethnicity and other departments are of others. And morale is terrible. It is a political, deadbeat environment where I could hear my mind and skills atrophying. Management and culture must change. Don't give 5 year tenures to those in C-level positions that don't manage because they aren't even in the building 95% of the time. Don't pay people for two or more jobs and give them empty offices, especially not at C-level positions or in senior management. Everyone expects higher-ed institutions, especially Ivy+ like Duke, to be filled with bright staff and working with bleeding edge best technologies. Make it happen, and stop depending on the rich kids, stocks, sports, and research to pay your inflated bills for inadequate work from staff and management. Stop duplicating work within the same department and foster working together rather than competing with each other. The only fun staff ever had is for a short amount of time where they left work early and drank the rest of the afternoon.

Duke was a great place to work for entry-level positions in science.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Durham, NC (US)

I worked at Duke University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salaries were competitive; benefits were great; atmosphere was top-notch, intellectually and socially. The people I worked with at Duke were friendly, intelligent, and team-oriented. Buildings/workspaces were amazing. And there is a newish library next to the medical center now. This affords some great workspace whenever you need to write or prepare a presentation. Projects were state-of-the-art. Seminars on campus drew top-notch researchers. Studies being published in labs at Duke are cutting edge....lots of leaders in each field. And there are great fitness centers on campus - a kick-butt cross country trail, etc. So you can go for a great run over lunch. Overall, it's just a great place to be.

Cons

Parking was a pain, and the labs were small in some cases: very few people in each lab, working under each P.I. P.I.s had some in-fighting, at times, which made things awkward. The younger P.I.s treated the place like it was a pressure cooker at times. But they pulled in great grants. So I guess it balanced out.

There are newer employer reviews for Duke University