There are newer employer reviews for E*TRADE Financial

Good place to work, although work/life balance can be a challenge.

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting, dynamic, and challenging place to work. Worked with a lot of smart, intelligent, motivated people. You will be rewarded when taking on additional responsibilities while continuing to perform at a high level.

Cons

Work/life balance can be a bit difficult at times. I definitely felt that people who knew how to play the game, but were by no means all-stars, were unfairly rewarded and promoted over smarter, harder working, higher performing employees who were less socially savvy.

298 Other Employee Reviews for E*TRADE Financial (View Most Recent)

Senior Project Management

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The life-work balance is great. Everyone is focused on business while in the office then go home.

Cons

Financial services in general isn't a growth industry at the moment so opportunities are limited.

Take more risks with current technology and embrace ideas that may not yield big ROI in the near term but can differentiate us from the competition going forward.

Company has moved to hard sales. Not the E*TRADE I once knew....

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at E*TRADE Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the work required the pay is pretty good. I have generally had a good experience with the people I work with...they generally do not hire the kind of person one normally associates with a brokerage firm (slicked hair, angry etc). Good base pay. I have made many, many friends who I will always be in contact with. Local Management has always been good to me.

They are very good about not requiring late hours, weekend work etc.

Cons

The comp plan for sales associates is the worst thing that has ever been excreted out of a human mind. Its very core is designed to cost you money at every turn. Client dies? Likely you will lose money. Client buys a house? You lose money. Client sells Mutual Funds? You lose money. And don't confuse this with a loss of retention or some hypothetical loss of continuing payments. You literally are charged from your bonus dollar for dollar. In other words, everything you sell will one day come back to cost you just as much, if not more (if it's value went up), than you were paid to sell it in the first place. Thousands of dollars a quarter will disappear due to things you have 0 control over. I won't go into too much detail, but I will say that when this plan was introduced to me I scoffed at the hypothetical losses I saw coming.

Unfortunately they are not hypothetical anymore.

They live in their own world. I won't bother.

There are newer employer reviews for E*TRADE Financial

Worked for E*TRADE Financial? Contribute to the Community!