internship

Former Employee - Intern
Former Employee - Intern

I worked at EY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good environment, staffs are friendly and helpful

Cons

very good company but might be long hours

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, flexibility, and people

Cons

Certain times of the year can be very busy

2. A lot has changed

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review actually predates the spinoff of its consulting business into CAP Gemini, so a lot has changed. Unfortunately, Glassdoor doesn't have a "pre-2009" option.

* Good knowledge management support, the firm really worked at this
    * Open to experimentation and staying with new trends, in pockets
    * Unusual efforts to marry industry knowledge with the accounting & audit segment

Cons

* The usual in the industry re: little work/life balance, large turnover.

* Inconsistent management. It amazed me that a senior manager could consistently blow projects, and have terrible relationships with staff, without consequences. This phenomenon seems to be prevalent in the consulting industry, and it would be really interesting to see some studies as to why.

* With some institutional (KM, some IT) and personal exceptions, support functions often demonstrated poor performance.

Advice to Management

This is industry-wide, not firm-specific. I suspect you could get a Pareto payoff by thinking hard about how to identify toxic managers/ principals quickly, and remove them before damage is done to staff or client relationships. The people who are a nightmare to staff are going to cause problems with clients, one way or the other. Lose them fast.

On the back end, a bit of attention could really pay off. This isn't revenue-producing, so professional service firms don't assign their good managers to it, but poor performance sub-optimizes your highly-paid talent. Why not make a point of hiring some professional career track managers from outside? Pick those with a record of making a difference and being near the cutting edge, and give them the support necessary to make these functions good.