There are newer employer reviews for Eastman Chemical

If you're not chosen on day 1, you can forget about advancement.

Current Employee - Scientist  in  Kingsport, TN (US)
Current Employee - Scientist in Kingsport, TN (US)

I have been working at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Reasonable cost of living, no traffic, generally good people to work with, competent employees.

Cons

System of choosing leadership is a serious issue - bad managers arent removed and can cause tremendous disruption. There are too many directors and too many bad directors.

Please, please, please take more time and care in selecting directors and evaluating their performance. These individuals are chosen early in their careers and many dont receive adequate vetting. And no, any director cant automatically do any other director-level job.

593 Other Employee Reviews for Eastman Chemical (View Most Recent)

I had one bad review and I was fired. Prior to that I was perfect.

Former Employee - Operator  in  Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Operator in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Stable company with lots of capital

Cons

Management could turn on you in a heart beat.

Not deserving

A very diverse company with a wide variety of opportunities, demanding of your time and personal/ professional growth.

Former Employee - Operator  in  Longview, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Operator in Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Eastman Chemical

Pros

Eastman in Longview, TX has some of the highest pay rates in our area. The training and job education is extensive and on-going; you will re train annually and updates to training documents are issued regularly. Safety is a high priority and any issues that arise are reviewed and discussed in depth on all levels, so you feel like you have an input and are made aware of every hazard possible. Commitment to safety and sharing of information with employees at all levels is something the company does very well.

Cons

Your time at Eastman initially will be learning your work site and getting accustom to the schedule. There will be tons of computer based training about the company and safety practices to be completed within a designated time, in addition to learning job responsibilities and mentoring at your department level. After about 3 months, you will be scheduled to attend Eastman Learning Center, an onsite training facility with faculty that will guide you through in depth self paced learning and labs. This is all great for creating a skilled workforce and giving you confidence in your co-workers, but it becomes overwhelming. Much of the work at the learning center is done on your own time with books and disc to be studied at home. When working a 12 hour rotating shift and trying to balance sleep and family time, it is way too much to be expected. I have never felt so incapable and slow to learn on a new job as I did at Eastman. My time at the job was stressed and needing to add additional time onsite and at home without pay- to meet the requirements for the school was nerve wracking; driving in on my days off to attend the school felt invasive to my family time. You often work with same crew on days and night for years, so you better like each other

I think there is way too much too soon. Management needs to monitor and re- evaluate the amount of information and training to be sure it is learned and remembered, if they want good workers.

There are newer employer reviews for Eastman Chemical

Worked for Eastman Chemical? Contribute to the Community!