There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels

Bread on the table but come on give me a break

Current Employee - Crew Member in Lawrenceville, GA (US)
Current Employee - Crew Member in Lawrenceville, GA (US)

I have been working at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% discounts on meals, no late nights (store closes at 5pm), Room for growth within the company for everyone

Cons

-early mornings if you're not a morning person (early as 1-3am) mainly for bakers, shift managers and the GM

-company forces GM's not to exceed a certain amount of labor hours which causes GM's to under staff on certain days which results in complaints from customers bc everyone isn't as fast, some ppl aren't cross trained and that's when everything hits the fan especially on a busy day.

-company doesn't take their employees serious when it comes to internal complaints amongst other co-workers. The ABM (who only visits the store once or twice every few months) and Human Resource Manager will address every employee about the issue to get their perspective but won't follow through with appropriate action. We've had spy camera's in our restrooms, Shift Managers that harassed, used profanity and abused their authority but bc they had "great customer service," no action was taken leaving the employees frustrated and drained. The customers could cut the tension with a knife and it reflected in our performance as well.

-company will promote anyone to shift manager especially if they're desperate enough. Most GM's are stuck without any shift managers to cover certain shifts which leaves them to work from open to close 7 days a week (3am-5pm). When they find a shift manager it's usually someone with little to no experience who doesn't know how to run a shift or lead a team, leaving the shift to run it's self when the GM is off for the day. Epic fail.

-there are no set rules. every GM sets their own rules and regulations. We've had 6 different GM's in less than 3 years and each one had their own rules, some followed the rules by the book and then others took shortcuts. So, you probably won't get trained properly especially now that Einstein's no longer has it's own training store. Also, if you've been working their and a new GM comes along everything that you were told by the last GM is now thrown out the window because like I said each GM sets their own rules so it's sort of like starting all over again.

-no time and a half for working during the holidays! and no overtime allowed. the store is open for nearly every holiday except Christmas, but they're trying to change that.

-Hire Shift Managers that actually know what they're doing. You can call their last job to see if they would recommend them before hiring.

-ABM's need to be more involved with their stores. They need to visit the stores more often and actually try to get to know the employees and ask questions. It shouldn't only be about the GM or the Shift Managers, the crew members matter also.

-Stop being so cheap and give your employees better raises when you know they deserve it. And time and a half if we have to work during the holidays. That's unheard of for me!

-Keep the rules the same that way it'll be an easier/smoother transition from Gm to Gm

- Train all employees especially shift managers and test them!!! Shift Managers should know how to do what a crew member does and more, not the other way around.

-learn how to schedule your employees. Don't schedule 3 people when out of those 3 people only one is cross trained, if someone calls out you're stuck or if they go on break they shouldn't have to stop eating to help out on the line. it's ridiculous. it's called a break for a reason!

116 Other Employee Reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels (View Most Recent)

"Great Manager, Good Co-Workers, Terrible Business Model"

Former Employee - Baker in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Baker in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for associates. Free bagel and shmear for associates who take a lunch. Some holiday time after 6 mos. (Need to use it that year or you will have to fight for it next year.) Benefits are available to associates who work over a certain number of hours. No late nights (Close at 5pm for some locations). The baker's have fairly consistent schedules and don't work overnight.

Cons

Recent excessive labor cuts are making our customers walk due to long lines. Increased duties from the lower staffing has put a real strain on offering decent customer service. Up-selling and suggesting add-ons has really been upsetting regulars. Decreases in portions & quality while increasing prices. Sudden changes of policy with little to no notices. Implemented policies that look good on paper but work poorly in practice at the store-level

An example is the increased labor requirements in our process due to the release of reusable egg boats for our egg sandwiches. Honestly it seemed like a good idea and is slightly more eco-friendly except for the extra water needed to clean them. But they do take a very long time to clean properly and they don't look attractive sitting in bus bins next to the sandwich line. They also don't seal the egg inside like the throw away tubs so the product just spills any time you move them from the reach-in fridge to the microwave. This results in the microwave becoming filthy and the customer loses some of their egg portion and it goes to waste or ends up in the sink).

Increased paperwork and reports for associates and G.M/A.M's that seems like it is coming from layoffs at corporate/home office.

New P.O.S. system is worse than old one and was released over labor day weekend with minimal training (the regional trainer was on vacation for the release).

The 1-800 number for tech support is often unavailable at our opening hours so there is no-one to reboot the systems when they freeze and we cannot ring up the customers.

Poor to no equipment maintenance:

Our store was fabricated from a small retail store a long time ago, so the halls are narrow due to the added walk-in fridges and there is no space to keep the hot baking racks out of the normal walking areas safely. We have a very old oven, proofer and a barely functioning freezer with no shelving (everything is stacked and we use milk crates and improper materials for keeping things off the floor). Not to mention all the cold blocking plastic strips fell or were ripped off years ago. Our baking racks have rusted wheels and are very hard to move(dangerous when you're dealing with 500 degrees) and our baking sheets look like they were beaten after being in a fire. (Several of us have burned ourselves from pulling the racks out of the oven with so much force the pans fly off and hit us then burn the exposed parts of our arms that are not covered by the gloves.)

-Put more emphasis on your source of income - the customer. Treat them right instead of wooing them for one-night stands with coupons.

-Allow your employees to give them great customer service, with proper training, staffing, competitive pay, and most of all encouragement and also acknowledgment of a good job from above the G.M. level.

I know times are tough and the bottom line is everything for a lot of companies right now. But when you cut off too much at the bottom and start hacking into the base of the tree...

You've got to spend money to make money guys.

Excellent team and experience, but food industry not for me

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in La Jolla, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in La Jolla, CA (US)

I worked at Einstein Bros. Bagels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful supervisor and coworkers, great team morale, interesting customer interactions. Helpful environment; clean environment. Employees genuinely cared about work ethic and each other.

Cons

It can be tough working with difficult customers, especially in the food industry but you definitely practice patience, tolerance, and respect.

Upper management did so well, he was very experienced, patient, and understanding.

There are newer employer reviews for Einstein Bros. Bagels