There are newer employer reviews for Esri

Blend. Become as beige as the walls, carpets, chairs, and desks.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA (US)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work once I learned how it works. Esri has a very low turnover rate, once you're in, you're in. The company supports me to perpetuate the same position indefinitely. There's no cap for the salary of my role and I get the same annual salary increase regardless of how I perform. I don't need to grow professionally. More challenging roles are filled by newer people. Best yet, management prefers employees to not be interested in career growth.

Cons

The competition is reinventing the business model... I think. That is if making similar software user-friendly becomes marketable.

Just don't retire. There is literally nobody else in the company who can do your job.

232 Other Employee Reviews for Esri (View Most Recent)

Second-Worst Place I've Ever Worked

Former Employee - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior ColdFusion Developer in Redlands, CA (US)

I worked at Esri as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great cafeteria, decent parking, good location in Redlands, California.

Cons

HORRIBLE management. I was grilled four times over three months for a contract position, and then after finally getting an offer, I get placed into a group run by a guy who refuses to embrace new technology. The ONLY group that didn't use OO programming methodologies. And his incompetent manager backed him despite pressure from all over the company to give in and adapt a more modern style. I wanted the job specifically to build my experience with advanced OO technologies, but it was more like a bait-n-switch. I left after six months. Oh BTW, I learned in a company meeting that as of 2011, they had NO DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN. None. And better yet, they were FINE WITH IT. Keep in mind these idiots are in Southern California, in the heart of Earthquake Central. Keep that in mind before you do business with them. They also won't hire you as a permanent employee unless you have a degree... yet they will use contractors without degrees. Pretty lame.

Get a clue. Get your priorities straight and start scrutinizing your long-term people and see if maybe they're the reason you aren't keeping people around. I know quite a few people who have left since I was there; many people are unhappy.

Great company, not-so-great management

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Redlands, CA (US)

I have been working at Esri full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- flexible hours
    - training and tuition assistance
    - great place for GISers, cartographers and geographers to begin their career
    - get to play with the newest GIS toys
    - very stable company and employment

Cons

- very little perks compared to other companies of similar size
    - company has a flat structure; almost non-existent chance of promotion
    - no snacks or food provided; cafe and vending machines are not subsidized
    - the corporate side of HR is out-of-touch with nature of work
    - internet usage is monitored, controlled by ineffective web filter software
    - no incentive for younger employees to stay on or remain motivated
    - no team building events/practices
    - very few vacation days

1. Provide SOME workplace perks (at least free donuts, good coffee, subsidized lunch, etc)
    2. Provide better benefits (childcare, housing allowance, pet insurance, etc)
    3. If no promotion structure, employees should be given incentives in other forms (increased vacation, 401K contribution bonus, gift cards, etc)
    4. Restructure corporate HR employees and practices