Extended Stay America

www.extendedstayamerica.com
  www.extendedstayamerica.com
There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America

An outstanding company to work for!

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  El Paso, TX (US)
Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in El Paso, TX (US)

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time for more than a year

Pros

I really loved my job at Extended Stay Hotels, I left for a while on my account and then returned some months later, I eventually left due to a lack of hours and a large amount of physical work that wasn't suited to me as I was physically sick at the time.

Cons

Low pay and benefits for a part time worker.

112 Other Employee Reviews for Extended Stay America (View Most Recent)

Job had lots of downtime, but almost every aspect of hotel management was sloppy and careless.

Former Employee - Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk  in  Anchorage, AK (US)
    Former Employee - Night Audit/Laundry, Front Desk in Anchorage, AK (US)

I worked at Extended Stay America part-time for more than a year

Pros

The night audit position was often easy and paid a dollar per hour more than regular daytime front desk work for fewer responsibilities. Performing the night audit itself was the easiest part of the job once you got the hang of it. There was no complicated math, it was basically just printing out papers and putting them in the right order. There usually were not many check-ins. However, sometimes it would get busy during the summer months and the load of customers that came all at once could be a lot for one person to handle. Otherwise, I usually had a fair amount of time at night to just watch TV or browse the internet on my laptop. Towards the end of my shift, I would have to put out breakfast, which was pretty much just bagels, some fruit, and coffee. That generally didn't take long. I did not have to wear a uniform, but I think this varies by location.

Cons

For most of the night (10pm-6am), I was the only hotel employee there, period. In addition to being the sole employee on duty, I had to do laundry, which required being in back and monitoring a video screen for any customers at the desk. Sometimes there was an enormous amount of laundry, but it was usually manageable, albeit tedious and at times disgusting. The training provided was not sufficient to handle every problem that came up. My immediate manager often didn't answer her phone, and the one above her would only help by phone begrudgingly. Sometimes guests would have reasonable dilemmas I did not have the power to solve, and management was usually content to let me take the wrath of the customer and leave me hanging with little or no ability to make things right. The maids were sloppy and the hotel was well below adequate cleanliness, both in the halls and in the rooms. Customer parking was insufficient, costly, and in general it created a nightmare of customer complaints. Customers records were not kept in a secure fashion. Pay raises were very few and far between, with no prospect of advancement. A few times I had to call the police due to unruly or drunken guests or trespassers. At times, I genuinely feared for my safety.

Take the time to oversee the hotel in more detail, paying close attention to customer complaints and cleanliness. Encourage better work from your employees with support and incentive. Screen the new hires more effectively and don't take for granted the quality employees you do have. One of the best front desk workers was fired when I was there because he took quality issues into his own hands when my manager refused or was too lazy to do so.

Alright Company but better out there

Former Employee - Hotel Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Hotel Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Extended Stay America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The extended guests are great. Its different thean managing a full service hotel in that you are able to really get to know your guests on a personal level.

Cons

Overwork managers. Sometimes would work 80hrs a week. Takes too long to hire employees to replace those that have left. Turn over is hi because there isnt a real training program in place.

Locations are extremely understaffed. Managers are carrying too hi of a load and that effects your overall productivity and the overall happiness of your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Extended Stay America

Worked for Extended Stay America? Contribute to the Community!