FLIR

www.flir.com

A good company that could be great if management didn't take the usual route of overcompensating itself.

Engineer IV (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Pros1) You get your own office (in the Orlando division);
2) You get a lot of responsibility;
3) Stock options for just about everybody (granted, you're not getting thousands of them, but they still hand them out);
4) Employee Stock Purchase Program (ESPP);
5) A modicum of bureaucracy;
6) Flexible hours;
7) Small company feel with big company goals (i.e. ambitious);
8) You can load software onto your computer without IT-department scrutiny.

Cons1) If your boss is competent, then he or she has to die, quit or retire in order for you to get promoted.
2) Management wants you to do everything and be great at it as an engineer (conceive, design, build, test, transition to manufacturing, produce schedules, manage people, etc.). If you're trying to be great at everything--especially if they aren't interested in it--you'll get people that are average overall when they could, instead, be great at what they enjoy and are good at.
3) You're constantly aware that top-level management has golden parachutes and massive amounts of stock options, all for being no smarter than you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart showering everyone with an ample amounts of stock options. It's in your best interest. No one wants to hear how you make family sacrifices for one weekend like everyone else, because you are, in fact, sitting on a mountain of cash.

Best place to work in Santa Barbara

Finance (Former Employee) Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at FLIR

Pros: Great group of people. Interesting products and markets. Cons: Different cultures between the different sites sometimes conflict. Advice to Senior Management: The company is pretty well run. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great people and exciting products. Talented, focused and intelligent management team.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR (US)

I have been working at FLIR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: FLIR has excellent benefits and pays the lions share of the cost. The company matches 50% of my 401(k) contributions, which really adds up. We… Cons: There are no visible employee training and development programs. Management is often too busy or uninterested in learning about how employees like their jobs. Our… Advice to Senior Management: I would like to see more interaction between managers, directors… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on FLIR.

Worked for FLIR? Contribute to the Community!