Facebook

www.facebook.com
  www.facebook.com
There are newer employer reviews for Facebook

Fantastic challenges, great craic, excellent people

Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
Current Employee - Site Reliability Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Despite having several thousand employees, you can still have an impact, and it doesn't have to be "wrote the messaging system", it can be as simple as "made something more efficient, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars over a year", or "enabling someone else to be a rock star". There are great challenges in the infrastructure, and it's a first-hand experience of (at the heart) simple systems interacting in complex ways. Lovely food from the on-campus cafe (really and truly I'd call it a restaurant, the food is that good), break out areas for peace and quiet, and generally excellent and smart co-workers.

Cons

Long days mostly, and the communication lag with HQ. It's possible to get sucked down a rabbit hole for days on end, sinking in far too many hours. However, in the end, it's a personal choice to do hours and hours of work beyond what you're salaried for. The 8 hour lag with California is also a pain in the rear - you either live with 24 hour turnaround on question/answer threads, or you stay late to try and catch someone in real time.

817 Other Employee Reviews for Facebook (View Most Recent)

Best job I ever had!

Current Employee - Developer Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Developer Support Engineer in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic culture: FB is moving fast so there are lots of opportunities to work on interesting projects.
    - Impact: you get to work on projects that affect millions of people every day! It's hugely rewarding!
    - Great facilties. Facebook is a fun place to work with a great work environment. This starts with having top-notch screens to nicely designed break out areas.
    - loads of benefits, e.g. health care, free food
    - loads of opportunities to grow within the company. Facebook is still small, so there is always a career path that will enable you to grow into a management role or into a highly impactful individual role!
    - lots of travel if you're up for it
    - Learn: Facebook has a great team that focusses on providing you with training around communication, presentation, time keeping, management skills. Whatever you are interested in!

Cons

- work load is high so good project/time management skills are a plus!

Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Huge impact from day one - I got to own pretty large projects almost as soon as I joined, and the amount of trust placed in employees even from the first few weeks in bootcamp is amazing.
    - Exciting work environment, I work with some of the very best people I've met in the business every day
    - Real start-up feel and anxious to keep it that way. There's a lot of attention paid to the culture of the company
    - Things really do move fast. It's really motivating to see the results of your efforts get adopted so quickly
    - Great support from management
    - Fun @ work, many great perks. Lots of free food, and a gym to work it all off.

Cons

High workload mean that you have to be pretty motivated to enjoy it. On the flip side that's mostly self-driven - I certainly end up working a lot not because I'm pushed to but because I want to see my project succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Facebook