There are newer employer reviews for FactSet

Best in the financial software industry

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at FactSet

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, work from home privileges (note: not all teams have this), very strong engineering culture, smart engineers and capable managers, relatively fair review system, tries to be client driven, strong onboarding plan (new hire training, mentors), innovation encouraged, company will support you resource-wise in "getting things done", relatively little bureaucracy due to PD / engineering division of labor, patience with new hires, excellent in-house managerial training, decent social atmosphere (you have to be here for a while to appreciate it).

Cons

Rigid promotion requirements hinder top performers from faster recognition (for some teams, not all), pay is average to below average for the financial software industry in NYC, in-house technology-oriented training not at the level of managerial training, an initiative needs to be developed to help PDs and engineers collaborate better (I'm serious about this), working in the financial software domain means you don't really understand the end-user (unless you are a banker or money manager), some teams have pager / on call duties, specialization means cross-team moves are less likely.

Advice to Management

FactSet is the best place to work in the financial software industry, despite its shortcomings. I qualify this because the industry may not have the mass appeal as some others such as consumer-facing industries or social networking companies. Nothing you can do about that. Recommendations: make the promotion structure more fluid for high-performing engineers. Pay PDs more, they deserve it. You are not a mediocre company but you pay like one; raise your average pay to be in the top 10-15 percentile in the industry. You have a ton of free cash flow, make sure you do everything you can - not only pay, but also benefits, promotions, training, and compelling work - to keep your top performers motivated and challenged.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great culture, benefits, and people. Location stinks.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

Culture, benefits, people are awesome. You work with your friends.

Cons

Norwalk location is not the best. Opportunities for personal/professional growth can be hard to come by.

2. GOOD

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at FactSet

Pros

BALANCE with work and life.

Cons

Need to expend their domain.

Advice to Management

Nothing