There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Good place to start!

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Springfield, MA (US)
Former Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MA (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very good company to start with, you get a lot of experience from the ground up and can work your way up in the company very quickly.

Cons

As a Store Manager you must push 3/4 of the freight yourself and if your older that can be very hard to do, sometimes the help is not very reliable for showing up and the staffing is so low there is no one to call in, also they tell you that you will work 52 hr a week but you end up working 80 to 90 hr because of under staffing of the store.

Let the Store Manager be the store manager not the stock boy, hire a stock person who's only job is stocking (not cashiering) 40hr a week and you will see a BIG improvement. Give more responsibility to the Asst. Manager. Have hiring and training stores in every area, then sent the person to their store, (McDs) methods. works very well.

614 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Good Company, Growing Fast.

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores

Pros

Good Culture, Stong Growth. The company is growing very fast, and some of the management is changing rapidly. There are lots of supportive people that are very encouraging.

Cons

Sometimes simple requests get lost in the maze of people. There are people promoted that do not have a strong knowledge of the department they are going to support.

Area Manager

Former Employee - Area Manager  in  Odessa, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Odessa, TX (US)

I worked at Family Dollar Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is decent, the people are great, and there is a lot to learn in distrbution. You can move up here without a degree. So if you are a hard worker that goes noticed on the team member level.

Cons

was promoted to an area manager after being a team member for 5 months. I thought I would recieve some training. Nothing. I was thrown out on the floor and expected to be perfect. I was constantly getting yelled at for nothing and had to work really long hours. Sometimes I would be there for 15 hours overnight. I worked hard for that company and felt like they just wanted to break me. I left there many days in tears and stress out.

Don't micromanage. You have lost a lot of good people because of the way you treat them. People don't liked to get yelled at everyday. Listen to ideas, just don't dismiss them.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Worked for Family Dollar Stores? Contribute to the Community!