Family Dollar Stores

www.familydollar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores

Uncaring!

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time

Pros

It's a paycheck, but no quality of life to go with it.

Cons

Hostile company looking for anything to threaten and terminate people with. Uncaring about any quality of life - you're just slave labor!

None - because they don't care and won't listen.

668 Other Employee Reviews for Family Dollar Stores (View Most Recent)

Poor working conditions

Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with including the district manager

Cons

Where to start. The amount of work to be done with the hours given are ridiculous. The store manager is required 52 hours per week based on 5 1/2 days per week, which is okay, but if you care about your store it is a lot closer to 70 hours per week. The associates can't count on consistent shifts to plan a personal life or pay bills. One week they may get 25 hours, the next 15. The opening manager is alone in the store for several hours which is unsafe in many of the areas the stores are located, and the store closes with two people and open until 10 pm which is just as unsafe again considering the areas the stores are located. The truth of the matter is senior management doesn't care about the stores or their associates or they would add a few more hours per store to make sure things are able to get done. They want the manager to be a manager, but all they are, are cashiers with a key.

Add 10 to 20 hours per week to the budgeted hours if you truly care about your company. Yes, it is an added expense, but could save the company millions in shrink and added sales.

current store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Family Dollar Stores full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you do a good job and you have a good inventory you basically run the store by yourself. I enjoy people and enjoy what I do so I do like my job very much. You get to teach your staff how to become a good manager and it is nice to beable to help others move up. The prices are good and I like to provide my customers with a better quality of life by running a discount store.

Cons

If you have a good dm, which I do, your job is enjoyable as long as you don't have a life outside of work, you don't mind working 12 hours without a break or ever sitting down and you don't mind being the accountant, loss prevention person, plumber, computer technician, stocker and cashier. The corporation top leaders make an incredible amount of money while giving cashiers and managers as little as possible. Payroll hours given to run a store are insane. If you get hurt good luck with the people I've seen hurt on the job you would be better off keeping your mouth shut and get your own doctor.
    The corporation has taken over ordering and you now cannot get the inventory you need in your store. I've worked here for almost a decade and never ran out of products my customers needed. Now I cannot provide what my customers needed.
    I am alone in my store for more than half the day and I do feel unsafe sometimes. I know my boss cares about my staff but truly I think corporation has to stop hoarding all the profits and make the stores safer and less stressful to work in.

Listen to your manager's inventory needs they know their customers needs. Give the stores enough hours to safely run their stores. No one should ever be alone in their store. Your wages should be competitive to other stores in each neighborhood. When 15 year olds make more money than your assistant managers are paid it is very disrespectful to ask them to work as hard as they do for peanuts. Since everyone at the top makes incredible money they should reflect on it is all the people underneath them that get them their money.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Dollar Stores