There are newer employer reviews for Fenwick & West

Fenwick & West once a great firm

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Fenwick & West

Pros

The firm was a very good place to work. Things have changed and not for the better. To much favoritism for the younger staff and not for professionlism or competence.

Cons

The management is blind to what some employees do. Many employees are hard workers and not "in your face" social butterflies. Yet management seems to prefer the social butterflies to the hard workers. Especially the ones that brown nose them.

Senior Management should really stand back and take a good look at the managers they have in place and realize that some of them are not people persons and treat their staff with disdain and sometimes cruelly. Once a leopard always a leopard and the spots will never change. You can take a panther and tame it and domesticate it, but in reality it is still a panther and their inate being is to be a panther. Hopefully before the firm collapses because of this blindness, Senior management will wake up to the fact that management is letting go of some really good employees and keeping the young, thin, but very incompetent ones.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Fenwick & West (View Most Recent)

As Good as Law Firm Life Gets

Former Employee - Attorney in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Attorney in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Fenwick & West full-time

Pros

There might not be any legit prestigious law firms that can provide a stress-free happy work life balance, but in my experience Fenwick is about as close as you can get.

Cons

I really don't have many complaints to report. Worrying about billable hours every day of your life can really wear you down, but it's an industry problem, not a Fenwick problem. I would like to see them be the first to just drop the billable hour requirement officially, proving that they are in a different league and cutting edge.

Great place to work

I have been working at Fenwick & West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fenwick is supportive of staff development, in my experience. I feel as though I can't hit a dead end here, or if I do, it's mostly my fault. If you begin to feel stagnant as an employee, you can suggest ways you can grow or expand your position and receive a lot of support. The comp and benefits are very good for staff, and highly competitve with other firms. There is a culture of kindness that is pervasive. There is more than one office, but the firm does a good job making everyone feel as though they are working for the same place, by sharing projects across offices, communicating pretty well by email, phone calls, and video conferences, and getting people together face-to-face when possible.

Cons

Depending on the office location, there are plusses and minuses. The Mountain View office is very large and there are a bit more layers of management to wade through. It's not easy to figure out at first. If you want to be a "stand out" Mountain View might be kind of a big pond for you. The smaller offices (San Francisco & Seattle) are a bit more streamlined (management-wise) and personal if you like that kind of thing.

Keep up the good work. Make sure the various offices get the communication they need from each department in Mountain View.

There are newer employer reviews for Fenwick & West