There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Amazing company! Best 6 yrs of my career!

Former Employee - Senior Executive Secretary in Boston, MA (US)
Former Employee - Senior Executive Secretary in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management, culture, talent hired, overall excellent & memorable company.

Cons

Location & commute in Boston unbearable at times.

Keep up the great work!

1857 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Negative Culture and Values

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay and Good Benefits. A general willingness to invest in business development and IT. Modern and updated facilities with decent amenities. Tight security both physically and on the customer data side.

Cons

Does not pay for performance or set performance expectations well. There are unwritten or absent expectations regarding "success" in job roles; performance is not necessarily judged against what your assignments are and how you execute them.

For example, recently I had achieved all of my performance goals for the review period, such as being ahead of project completion schedules, under budget and delivered targeted business scope. Two weeks prior to the performance review the performance assessment criteria was changed to "measure" me against targets that I had no chance to meet since they were completely different than the job assignments. The manager conducting the review admitted that the assessment criteria was "new" and "unfair" and the lack of communication was deliberate in order to send a "message" to the organization.

After over a decade of service with eighty percent of my performance reviews being "above average" under the various grading scales (and never having had a poor review before), it was a very strange turn of events.

It appears as though it may be a targeted "reduction in force" or "desired attrition" by targeting people at certain pay and/or years of service, since I was only one of several colleagues who held similar positions that expressed a very similar situation.

Rewards are more and more concentrated at the very top level, with the middle layer becoming hollow and the entry level positions are subject to RIF's regularly.

Exceptionally poor planning in just about every business unit, and the company as a whole. A general inability to keep focus.

Improve the mutual fund performance and gain back market share.

Go public or sell to another public company, since the cultural and structural problems are not going to be solved internally with the current management structure and ownership.

High Talented Work Force

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Offers good training and pay.

Cons

Senior Mgmt constantly making changes that are poorly communicated. Some who have made it to high senior levels are very un-professional. ie yelling, loud phone converstations even behind closed doors.

Look out for burn-out. Expectations are 50 hours + each week especially for those who work with global associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments