There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial

Up and Down

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY (US)
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Albany, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. At one time, our department had their own corporate culture, and it was fantastic. Advancement within your own area is extremely possible, despite what others say here.

Cons

Sigh... well, having lived through the HSBC conversion and coming out (mostly) intact: the micromanagement of employees, the fact that we were outright told to LIE to customers, the policies that are broken one minute and enforced the next... all very horrible.

Additionally, the bank has begun using a temp agency to fill certain positions, leading to training groups of twenty that have no idea what to do, and that can easily dispose of half themselves within a months time.

Also? The pay is not nearly enough.

Advice to Management

Try actually evaluating the quality of the people you hire instead of just mass hiring. It might help. Also, before promoting people, see how they do with employee engagement.

reviews filtered by

IT: Nice People, Clueless Management

Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY (US)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

IT is young and vibrant at FNFG. The people are friendly and supportive. Times are tight for everyone, but if you have a good idea, they will usually find a way to fund it.

Cons

The other side of the "young and vibrant" coin is their inexperience. For an enterprise IT environment, it's still a pretty small organization and yet they want to be grown ups so bad, they tend to adopt unnecessary bureaucratic procedure just because that's what the big banks do.

Advice to Management

Slow down growing the org chart, and focus on the people you already have. Say "no" to the lines of business when they want more work done than you have the people or experience to accomplish.

2. Chatham mgment is the worst

Current Employee - Teller in Chatham, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Chatham, NY (US)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The training is great,learned much about the banking industry,met some great friends

Cons

Management at local branch was opposite of the rest of company. Seemed to believe her job was to cater to every possible cause but to deal with the bank. (republican events,etc). Personal life of management (mess)

Advice to Management

STOP. Look at what you have before you start on your next conquest. You are always going to be only as strong as your weakest link or manager

There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial