There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

Getting to do what I do best

Current Employee - Investment Counselor  in  San Mateo, CA (US)
Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Having worked in financial services sales for a few years, I was really happy to find Fisher. What’s different about Fisher is they have people focus on what they do best and there’s segmentation of responsibility. Instead of hunting and gathering more clients, and making trades, and servicing the clients, and doing my own research, and doing my own marketing, and hunting and gathering some more, at Fisher my job is to focus 100% solely on servicing clients. At Fisher, the client really is king. My guess is most clients at brokerage firms don’t understand that their sales person spends 80% of his time doing sales and not much time actually managing money. I could go into sales at Fisher, if I wanted to, but at this point that isn’t a route I want to go again, and that’s perfectly ok. It’s nice to be someplace where you can have a long career doing what you know you do best.

Other things I like about Fisher. The overall team is great with a lot of smart people who are happy to be there. From my experience in financial services, the compensation is very very competitive. And they’ve opened another office in Washington where the cost of living is much lower so if you have a family, for example, and want to move somewhere where its easier to buy a house, you can do that.

Cons

I’ve seen some people complain about parking. And no, there’s no door to door valet service. But I think most of the people who complain about parking have maybe never had another job before and they don’t know what’s reasonable to expect. For example, at my last job (also in financial service) there was no street parking because it was in a downtown, fully metered area. The only place to park was in one of a few garages. The closest one was exorbitant. I parked a 15 minute walk away because it was cheaper, but it was still ridiculously expensive and I was walking to work in the rain and cold a lot. Public transportation just wasn’t an option because that would have added an hour to my commute, and I would have been switching three times. So yes, sometimes some people have to park offsite and sometimes that person is me. But at least its free and dry and the free shuttle takes 2 minutes.

If there’s any discussion of opening more offices I’d love to see one in Colorado.

198 Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments (View Most Recent)

I know times are rough but this isn't the best place to work.

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

-Good health benefits (includes Vision and Dental)
    -Occasional visibility of upper management
    -Smooth daily operation here, the place works like a machine.
    -Offers workshops and info sessions for employee development (all Fisher related only however)

Cons

-Off-site parking can be troublsome. You get shuttled in on a small bus.
    -Most employees there seem unhappy and unappreciated.
    -Work environment can tend to be very stressful and at times hostile! No respect and absolute lack of professionalism here.

Educate your mid level managers. They seem to lack the leadership skills to manage their teams effectively. It's hard to respect your manager when he is acting like he's still a frat boy.

Excellent place to develop a long career

Current Employee - ICTL  in  San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - ICTL in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Fisher offers competitive pay and a place to develop a long-term career. Employees are encouraged to develop themselves professionally by rotating to different areas of the firm if they choose. Alternately, employees can choose to develop depth by becoming specialists in a certain role. Either development model is open--depends on the employees choice. Management is interested getting employees into the right role for them. It's a great, challenging and competitive atmosphere, no two days are ever the same.

Cons

Employees who aren't interested in money management or a competitive workplace may burn out. But that's no different than other finance or money management firms.

Every firm has disgruntled former employees, and a small number of current employees who are disgruntled. That's normal, particularly for a competitive, money management firm. It doesn't mean anything. By and large, from my experience, employees enjoy what they are doing, enjoy their colleages, and enjoy the challenge and opportunity at the firm.

There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!