Fresh Market
www.thefreshmarket.com Greensboro, NC 5000+ Employees

I do not regret leaving the company

Produce Clerk (Former Employee)
Marietta, GA (US)

I worked at Fresh Market part-time for less than a year

Prosgenerous (almost generous?) employee discount extended to spouse/immediate family. Non-managerial co-workers are generally excellent people who try hard to make the best of a bad situation. Pay was not bad, however, salaried employes (department heads, et cetera) had a terrible compensation plan. Insurance benefits appeared average as well. . at least I rarely heard employees complaining about them. "Fresh Market" products are generally high quality products,

ConsI felt that store and assistant managers were decent people constrained by a "upper-level" corporate culture and policies that were astoundingly ill-logical, disrespectful, and just plain horrible.

Even as a part-time employee, I found that Fresh Market made zero attempt to work with me re: schedulling around outside activities like school or second jobs. Some examples: weekly schedules were released 2-3 days in advance (at best). Time off requests , even for small things like doctor appointments, were *never* honored. On multiple occasions I found that my schedule was changed mid-week, and no one would bother to notify me in advance, let alone ask me if that was okay. In effect, Fresh Market simply assumed that all of its employees were on-call, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. No one in my department was allowed to have a constant off day or time (for example, I cannot work every monday afternoon due to . . .)

the job was simply . . .boring.

Fresh Market posted notices all over the back of the store stating the employees were not allowed to have cell phones, even on break, were not allowed to store personal items such as coats or sodas anywere in the store except for the break room, and other petty policies. These sort of policies were rarely enforced by management except when a regional manager or someone from corporate was visiting.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the golden rule. . .treat other people (employees) like you would like to be treated yourself. Address issues in a professional manner, do not yell at employees, loudly discuss or evaluate personal issues in non-private settings.

Fun, fast-paced environment.

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Fresh Market part-time

Pros: Good amount of room for advancement, flexible hours considering lack… Cons: Under-staffed, some employees were not qualified for position. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Would never recommend TFM for employment.

Produce Department Manager (Former Employee)
Montvale, NJ (US)

I worked at Fresh Market full-time for more than a year

Pros: 1.) 20% discount made available on first day of unemployment. 2.) "Chance" of promotion. 3.) "Chance"… Cons: 1.) Zero work/life balance. 2.) Zero guarantee of a 40 hr. work week. 3.) Prepared foods are terrifyingly unhealthy. 4.) Produce department has on average less organic… Advice to Senior Management: I would say to stop misrepresenting yourself as an aww shucks, good-natured, God-fearing, healthy living, family centered business. You are a cruel and ruthless employer.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Fresh Market.

Worked for Fresh Market? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fresh Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fresh Market CEO Craig Carlock. All reviews posted anonymously by Fresh Market employees.