There are newer employer reviews for GameStop

My experience was good, but for others it may vary depending on who is managing the store.

Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- If you like video games, it is an enjoyable environment being surrounded by them.
- Good chance to develop communication and interpersonal skills
- Employees are close knit as there are usually less than 10 staff employed at a store
- Good start if you're looking for some customer service experience

Cons

- Too much variability in management between stores. You'll meet some really good managers and some really bad ones.
- No structured training program for line staff at the time I was hired. (2005)
- Part time staff sometimes only get one shift a week (3-4 hour shift) due to cuts in hours.

- Keep a closer eye on poorer performing stores. It may not be the line staff who are performing poorly but the manager.
- Develop a structured training program for line staff. A lot of new employees are simply thrown into the water and do not understand customer service
- Stop cutting hours allotted to the stores, especially larger and busier ones like mall stores. They need the hours. Less than 120 hours a week is not enough. Since the part time staff have their shifts and hours cut it will force them to look for jobs elsewhere and deter them from continuing to work for you.

1385 Other Employee Reviews for GameStop (View Most Recent)

Very little creative control

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bordentown, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bordentown, NJ (US)

I worked at GameStop full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you enjoy games and the game industry, it is a great place to interact with like minded people as customers.
    There is a sense of satisfaction when you help a customer out, especially with kids who really seem appreciative of help.

Cons

Corporate pretty much dictates everything that goes on in the store.
    Employees tend to shoulder the blame for things they have no control over, like trade in value.
    Tedious inventory checks in the morning for seemingly random items.

Give your store managers some more control over their stores. They see their customers daily, they know what they want. Don't be so rigid.

As Long As You Know What You're Getting Into

Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Game Advisor in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at GameStop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Being able to talk about video games all day
    *The off time reading of Joystiq, Kotaku, Gamasutra, Polygon, and Giant Bomb you would be doing anyway helps you at work.
    *15% discount
    *Work doesn't feel like "work" all the time.

Cons

*Sales quotas
    *Feeling undervalued
    *A lot to do in very little time
    *Working in a brick and mortar retail industry you can see gradually sunsetting.

There are a little over 4000 stores in the continental USA, this is too many. We are diluting our brand and value, the shareholders want to see growth, but whats the point if its not sustainable? Lets cut 1/4 of our stores, and follow the Apple Store model, appearing to be extremely selective in who we hire, and investing heavily in those employees and our stores.

There are newer employer reviews for GameStop