General Dynamics Information Technology

www.gdit.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for General Dynamics Information Technology

Good experience for working with one of the "big boys."

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Patuxent River, MD (US)
Current Employee - Program Analyst in Patuxent River, MD (US)

I have been working at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has been very good to me, ensuring that I have received good raises in compensation for helping to improve relations with an unhappy and demanding customer.

They have periodic incentives to encourage employees to be more healthy. Like last year, they had a program where people tracked their walking/running and, if you exercised x times per week, your name went into a drawing. Some of the prizes were things like iPads and A WEEK OF PAID LEAVE.

Cons

In the current environment, with threats of sequestration and DoD budget cutbacks, working for any defense contractor can be a bit nerve-wracking.

From what I can see, most GDIT employees are embedded at customers' work sites. So your day-to-day work experience is much more affected by your government customer than by the the actual policies of your employer. Not really a CON, per se, but it can be if your customer is difficult and the GDIT management doesn't stand behind you.

I worked for a small contractor before and did have more of a sense there of being known as a person and not just an employee number.

reviews filtered by

Good benefits, but limited opportunities from within

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Functional in Rockville, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Functional in Rockville, MD (US)

Pros

Benefits other than health plans are priced fairly and comprehensive. Evaluation process is fair and efficient. Friendly staff and management. Flexible with regards to personnel issues or FMLA needs.

Cons

It's very hard to move up within the company. Recruiters don't seem to help you try to move up within the company unless someone has specifically pegged you for a specific opening. All leave is lumped into one pile, so there if you need to take sick time or personal leave, it means less vacation time.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for current employees to climb the corporate ladder to better opportunities.

2. Great Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Needham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Needham, MA (US)

I worked at General Dynamics Information Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefit choices and access to tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Wish the headquarters were in the greater Boston area.