General Motors

Have to work for it

Manager (Current Employee)
Warren, MI (US)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 3 years

ProsManagment rewards talent, and fosters an environment that thrives on teamwork and relationship building. You do have to put in long hours on occassion, but this is a company with endless possibilities, including rotations outside of the States, several legal business entities the size of fortune 500 companies, and cross-functional experiences.

ConsHR still has an old-school mentatility and often fights upward movement for employees that are "too inexperienced" (e.g. too young), and still pushes a seniority-based instead of talent-based retention model. Management fights the battle, and often wins, but still difficult to manage a business when you cannot make the decisions that need to be made on the personnel side.

Before heading to chapter 11

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at General Motors full-time for more than a year

Pros: Not so much, realized the company was in trouble in… Cons: No chance for moving up, senior management only cares about… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

GM

Manager (Current Employee)
Flint, MI (US)

I have been working at General Motors full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Decent pay comparable to industry Cons: What can I say - lead into bankruptcy No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on General Motors.

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for General Motors CEO Mary Barra. All reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees.