There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Processor, Store Manager Trainee, Assistant Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping people and don't mind getting dirty

Cons

To cooperate office an employee is just a name. No one will notice if or when you go above and beyond. If you find $ in a donation, put it in your pocket. If you turn it in you will not get any of it and no one will ever say.. thanks for doing your job, we appreciate you. NEVER!!!

reviews filtered by

Goodwill of Southwestern PA is a great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Goodwill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Goodwill does more that people are typically aware of in the community. They not only have the reatail stores, but they have programs that benefit individuals with disabilities.

Cons

The main Workforce Development Center is located in Lawrenceville, PA. There are not a whole lot of businesses to walk to yet as Lawrenceville is revitilizing the city.

Advice to Management

They have an open door policy (including the CEO)

Decent place to start working.

Current Employee - Clothing Processor
    Current Employee - Clothing Processor

I have been working at Goodwill (less than a year)

Pros

-Helps the community (google how they help)
    -A simple job to start off working in (great for teens)
    -Very nice employees
    -Some managers/assistant managers can be very laid back
    -Very laid back environment sometimes
    (FYI it's minimum wage so you can't complain about the compensation since you know that's what you're signing up for)
    -Will work around a school schedule
    -Depending on your abilities, and position, you could help in other departments of the store. Gives you experience in other parts of the job as well. (ex: Someone might work as cashier one day then utility the next)

Cons

-Slowly turning into a for-profit business
    -Sometimes managers can be too demanding, forgetting we're working for barely nothing
    -Dust and pet dander (think carefully about employment here if you have allergies)
    -My location has a lot of teens working there and they can sometimes be very unprofessional or lazy
    -Customers can be hard to deal with at times (rude, ignorant, or...unhygienic)

Advice to Management

Try doing the worker's jobs as well as you expect us to.

There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill