Goodwill

www.triadgoodwill.org
  www.triadgoodwill.org
There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill

Assistant Store Manager

Former Employee - Processor, Store Manager Trainee, Assistant Store Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you enjoy helping people and don't mind getting dirty

Cons

To cooperate office an employee is just a name. No one will notice if or when you go above and beyond. If you find $ in a donation, put it in your pocket. If you turn it in you will not get any of it and no one will ever say.. thanks for doing your job, we appreciate you. NEVER!!!

708 Other Employee Reviews for Goodwill (View Most Recent)

Experiences vary radically from store to store!

Former Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Asheville, NC (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The overall HR policy of Goodwill of NWNC is great. Cashiers get paid about the same as cashiers anywhere, but the benefits are great. The benefits are exceptional for this sort of work. Medical insurance, pension and paid time off (a PTO system where you earn a percent of what you work). A big pro is that you're helping to raise money to help your community (helping others to find employment and helping individuals with physical and mental disabilities). Promotion from within is emphasized.

The first store I worked for was amazing (Mills Gap Road). Caring, ethical management that focused on mentoring over discipline. Customers were valued as was employee input. If you had any problems with your normal duties due to an injury or an unusual personal situation, management would work with you to keep you working without putting you at risk. Management was available to help with tougher customer situations. Expectations were clear. Training had some hitches, but was constant. Follow through by supervisors and management was consistent.

Cons

Overall, the cons at the first store were the same as any other customer service job. Some people are mean. However, since so many of the customers knew that it was a non-profit and worked with the public themselves, they were generally nicer than in most service jobs. The biggest con for Goodwill as a whole is that you can't shop at the store that you work at, so don't apply at your favorite one. Though I must say in their defense, there is actually really good reasoning behind this rule.

The worst cons all go to the second store I worked for (1616 Patton Avenue). Management was horrible. Supervisors were stabbing each other in the back so hard it felt like I was in a really bad made-for-tv movie. Supervisors would talk trash about each other, the staff, and the customers to each other, the staff, and even to the customers! I literally found myself blushing from embarrassment listening to how some of the supervisors spoke to customers at the register. And at closing time, God help you, I've never seen customers chased out like that in any business I've worked at.

You've heard of secret shoppers, right? Maybe you should look into secret employees. You've got some nasty management issues at least one store, and it all gets hidden away when you come through because they know they're doing wrong by both employees and customers.

Easy work and great benefits, but difficult to become promoted.

Former Employee - Cashier II in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier II in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Goodwill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is easy in general. Store employees are generally cashiers who are also required to do other tasks such as stocking clothing and wares, maintaining store cleanliness, and removing items from the store that have been there too long without selling. The store employee job is really fun just to see all the random stuff that comes and goes every day!

Cons

Production has very little customer interaction, and is focused on speed and accuracy. Employees are allowed to socialize a lot more back here, so it can be more laid back.

The goals each day in production can often be highly unreasonable. This creates a sense of "sarcastic morale".

Promotion seems difficult to attain with my own personal and others who have shared their experiences. Promotion is more centered around what kind of personality and "look" you display to the customer, rather than accomplishing tasks for the store itself. If you want to be promoted, you must be near optimum health regardless of your ability to be effective, and you must be downright clean cut.

Don't judge your employees by their personal lives, but judge them as to their effectiveness and customer likability. Hire more temporary employees from time to time to assist in certain tasks for the store during peak times of the year. An example would be assisting the fitting room attendant during the Halloween season.

There are newer employer reviews for Goodwill