Google

www.google.com
  www.google.com
There are newer employer reviews for Google

Google Summer of Code was the best experience a student can get

Former Employee - Google Summer of Code Open Source Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Completely depends on the organization you choose to participate with, but the majority are rigorous, challenging and rewarding. I was able to solve extremely difficult problems while being mentored by the best possible mentors, and I intend to participate in GSoC '13.

Cons

No interaction with Google, which is a great and bad thing. Could use a slightly stricter structure, but overall the program is what you make of it.

Expand the program to more students!

2706 Other Employee Reviews for Google (View Most Recent)

Contractor - Google's people and environment are awesome, but the job responsibilities and growth rate are poor.

Current Employee - Staffing Services Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Staffing Services Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everything but the job itself. Work with cool people, eat for free, and play a lot. Having Google on your resume also gives you a competitive advantage with many other employers.

Cons

From my experience as an entry-level contractor, I feel like it's difficult to get well-rounded experience in your practice area at Google. Google hires you to do one specific thing, and nothing more. This is even in their mission statement: better to do one thing really well then a bunch of different things. This principle is effective if you're thinking in terms of efficiency but not in terms of developing your employees.

Also, the conversion rate for contractors is very low and you really do get treated like a second class citizen as you walk around with your red badge (...scarlet letter?).

Focus on broadening the job responsibilities of your employees.

The Best Place Ever

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The free food is great. People are amazing. Perks in general are out of this world. I don't want to list them but you can Google it and figure them out for yourselves.

Cons

You're one of many people.

There are newer employer reviews for Google