There are newer employer reviews for Google

Google Summer of Code was the best experience a student can get

Former Intern - Google Summer of Code Open Source Developer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Google as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Completely depends on the organization you choose to participate with, but the majority are rigorous, challenging and rewarding. I was able to solve extremely difficult problems while being mentored by the best possible mentors, and I intend to participate in GSoC '13.

Cons

No interaction with Google, which is a great and bad thing. Could use a slightly stricter structure, but overall the program is what you make of it.

Advice to Management

Expand the program to more students!

reviews filtered by

Contractor - Google's people and environment are awesome, but the job responsibilities and growth rate are poor.

Current Contractor - Staffing Services Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)
    Current Contractor - Staffing Services Associate in Mountain View, CA (US)

I have been working at Google as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything but the job itself. Work with cool people, eat for free, and play a lot. Having Google on your resume also gives you a competitive advantage with many other employers.

Cons

From my experience as an entry-level contractor, I feel like it's difficult to get well-rounded experience in your practice area at Google. Google hires you to do one specific thing, and nothing more. This is even in their mission statement: better to do one thing really well then a bunch of different things. This principle is effective if you're thinking in terms of efficiency but not in terms of developing your employees.

Also, the conversion rate for contractors is very low and you really do get treated like a second class citizen as you walk around with your red badge (...scarlet letter?).

Advice to Management

Focus on broadening the job responsibilities of your employees.

2. Inspiring company to work for

I have been working at Google

Pros

Wonderful culture of society centered innovation, outstanding colleagues, belief in ideals beyond money. Technical excellence.

Cons

Can be chaotic, but often in a generative way. Its superb internal expertise can make it slightly arrogent in its views to the outside world.

Advice to Management

Carry on :)