There are newer employer reviews for Google

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England
Current Employee - Program Manager in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Google remains an outstanding employer

Cons

Very competitive - can be hard for career progression
Engineering outside the US can be challenging

reviews filtered by

Great if you're an engineer, not so great if you're in UX or not in Mountain View

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom, cool projects and great colleagues. You have to find the right project though, where the team does appreciate UX as that's not always the case. Manage that and you'll have a blast. Also great benefits (good pension, medical insurance plus things like gym membership, and of course free food) and a very decent salary.

Cons

Google doesn't really seem to understand UX. Design decisions are often made by committee and based on technology or what the VP likes. The UX designer then gets the job of painting the pixels. There's also little understanding of the different roles within UX (visual designer, interaction designer, researcher). I find the work very simple and repetitive do miss the more interesting bits of UX design (conceptual, strategical work)

The best company I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Google full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Challenging work environment, you get to learn a lot, especially in the beginning, huge scale of the projects, incredibly smart people, cool office space, perks (stock option and bonuses) and (healthy and yummy!) food. Variety of domains and products, you can always find something for yourself if you decide to change the project.

Cons

Difficult to get a promotion (you may get frustrated after a while), often have to work late, working from home is rarely an option, not so many career opportunities outside Mountain View, the most interesting projects are focused there.

Advice to Management

Reward long term and experienced employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Google